Engine Alarms

Private Nemo

Seaman
Hi ,

I have twin 1985 260 Mercruisers. I would like to install some alarms. Such as overheat , stalling etc. How do I do that and where do I get them ?

thanks

Drew

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Alarms

I just did a post on that exact subject with low oil pressure and overheat, look here http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair...hooking-up-oil-p-water-temp-alarm-589724.html
Low oil pressure alarm will come on if the engine dies and the oil pressure drops with the key still on. Then a quick look at the tach to confirm.

You can get the alarm buzzer at radio shack, the switches you can get from your local auto parts store, or even here at iboats.

Here are the oil and temp switches from here at iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/SWITCH-OIL-PR...5507952--session_id.475239986--view_id.926958 1/2 npt

http://www.iboats.com/SWITCH-TEMP-2...5507952--session_id.475239986--view_id.926935 with 3/8"npt (wrong in the discription, there are no 1/8NPT temp switches.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi ,

I have twin 1985 260 Mercruisers. I would like to install some alarms. Such as overheat , stalling etc. How do I do that and where do I get them ?

thanks

Drew

Ayuh,.... Overheat, low oil pressure, 'n bilge water levels are pretty easy, just follow don's link...

As far as Stallin',.... Can't you already tell the motor Quit,..??

Last edited:

Don S

Ayuh,.... Overheat, low oil pressure, 'n bilge water levels are pretty easy,

Just a note on that. DO NOT hook up a bilge alarm on the engine circuit, or the alarm will not work when the key is off.

Plus, it needs to be a different sound so you know if you have engine problems or water in the bilge without having to go look.

Private Nemo

Seaman

So I have to put seperate switches in the motors from the ones already there?. I cannot tap off the wires that come from them behind the dash ???

Bondo

Staff member

So I have to put seperate switches in the motors from the ones already there?. I cannot tap off the wires that come from them behind the dash ???

Nope,.. The gauges use Senders, 'n alarms use a Switch...

Senders are varying resistance, 'n Switches just go to ground...

Private Nemo

Seaman

Thanks for all the replys. They are what I needed. Just one more thing. How do I install an alarm for a stalling motor.?

thanks Drew

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Nemo, when your engine stalls your oil pressure will immediately drop to zero and set off the oil pressure alarm buzzer so you already have one built in once you instal the oil alarm buzzer. Also when you turn your key to the on position and while your are starting the motor and for a second or two after it starts (until the oil pressure builds up) the oil alarm will sound.

Private Nemo

Seaman

Hi, Now that the weather has finally broke a little , time to get to work.. So I starting to put this alarm , but do not know where to put the oil sender.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Drew

Don S

2 ways to do it, best way is to remove the plug just above the block oil filter boss. Depending on your switch, you may need a reducer to extend the hole out to where the switch can be installed without hitting the block.
Another option, is to tee into the gauge sender fitting back by the distributor. Use steel not brass for the tee and do not use teflon tape, simple gasket sealer works best and still gives you a good ground.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi, Now that the weather has finally broke a little , time to get to work.. So I starting to put this alarm , but do not know where to put the oil sender.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Drew

Ayuh,.... There should be a plugged oil port at the base of the distributor, 'n another down low portside aft on the block, by the oil filter housin',...
Or you can tee off the oil pressure gauge sender...

'n yer installin' Switches for an alarm, not Senders, which are for gauges...;)

Private Nemo

Seaman

Ok , switches. i will check for those spots. I was trying to find a spot for the water Switch , but the only one I see is for the sender unit for the gauge. Is there another spot like where the sender is

thanks

Drew

Don S

Should be a pipe plug on the opposite side of the intake from the gauge sender.

Private Nemo

Seaman

OK, I have climb all over these engines , I do not see any place to put these switches. I looked all around the dist and oil filter. Granted its pretty tight in the bilge. I am open to any suggestions on how to install theses switches . I was really looking forward to having theses alarms.

thanks

Drew

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...Another option, is to tee into the gauge sender fitting back by the distributor. Use steel not brass for the tee and do not use teflon tape, simple gasket sealer works best and still gives you a good ground.

Only it's not by the distributor, it's above the oil filter...

Don S

I know Merc put them both down low, but Volvo used them up by the distributor (easier to get to and dryer), and why I mentioned that location. So, am I still allowed to say it?

Bondo

Staff member

Only it's not by the distributor, it's above the oil filter...

Ayuh,.... There Is in fact a pressurized oil port, with a plug in it, at the base of the distributor,...

even if Merc uses the port by the oil filter...

Bondo

Staff member

OK, I have climb all over these engines , I do not see any place to put these switches. I looked all around the dist and oil filter. Granted its pretty tight in the bilge. I am open to any suggestions on how to install theses switches . I was really looking forward to having theses alarms.

thanks

Drew

Well,... We've told ya where to Look,...

Short of flyin' over, 'n puttin' a finger on 'em, ya gotta Look closer...

Btw,... For the water temp switch, there should be a port opposite the temp sender, Or, in the water runner in the intake manifold, just ahead of the carb...