Mercury 401 2cyl 40hp gear not engaging

jimdub

Recruit
Hi I have inherited my father's boat. It has a 40hp Mercury blue stripe 40hp 2 cylinder thunderbolt on it. I have used it a few times in the last 5 years and it never gave much trouble, however last year I went to the ramp and tried to get it going and the pull starter spring let go, so I just replaced it today and took the boat to the ramp (it has been sitting for a year since the spring broke) and satered it but now it wont go into gear! foward or reverse?

It used to go in with a little gear grinding noise when shifting into reverse but was OK in fowards but now nothing? I dont know if this is to do with the throttle selector or the gear selector in the leg or just play in the linkages?

Can anyone help?

I have not done anything to this boat for servicing ever!!! But it has always worked for me, I havent struck anything or run aground I only use it in an extremely deep lake and launch off a ramp. Last time I used it it seemed OK.

I have had trouble with the throttle in the past and the neutral position was incorrect so i took the throttle apart and put it back together and now the little click stopper happens in the correct vertical position, but I fear I may have made the gears not work? I didnt adjust any screws or threads?

Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 401 2cyl 40hp gear not engaging

What is the s/n of the engine and I presume that you mean 402/

Gerry

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury 401 2cyl 40hp gear not engaging

Try temporarilly disconnecting the shifter canble and see if you can change gears using the sliding bracket. It is normal to have a clicking noise when engaging gears. Thats why a fast firm shift is recommended when engaging to limit the wear on the gears and the clutchdog. Try doing as suggested and report back with the findings. And yes Gerry is right it is a 402 before 1979 or a 40 HP 1979 and later. I had one 1979.