De-greasing motor parts before paint.

nwcove

Admiral
anyone have any "home brews" for de-greasing a motor before paint? to cold out to use the pressure washer.(unless i want to make snow)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: De-greasing motor parts before paint.

Are you painting the actual powerhead?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hand cleaner is a pretty innocuous agent to use indoors for degreasing. Not flammable, no strong solvent smell. I've used GoJoe with pumice effectively. Smear it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then brush and rinse. - Grandad

nwcove

Admiral

Are you painting the actual powerhead?

no, just trying to clean up the the lu housing halves for my cd-13. its soaking in hot water and dish soap now, but that dont seem to be cutting through the mess. lol. (powerhead is clean, but the rest of the motor is greasy.)

nwcove

Admiral

Hand cleaner is a pretty innocuous agent to use indoors for degreasing. Not flammable, no strong solvent smell. I've used GoJoe with pumice effectively. Smear it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then brush and rinse. - Grandad

thanks grandad, may have to look into that "indoor" option.

64osby

Admiral

I have used the GoJo with a tooth brush. Works great on the tight spaces just below the lower Cowl.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spray with a bottle of Simple Green and use a hard bristle brush to loosen then a spray bottle of water so I don't soak power head. You could probably wipe down instead of spraying with water so you don't make snow.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's hard working on this stuff in the winter. I usually coat the greasy dirty stuff outside with diesel fuel, and the cheapest walmart spray lube, then wait for above freezing day and run to the car wash. cheap starting fluid works in tight places. Then kitchen sink and simple green. Then clean up sink so I can keep my kitchen privliges. I like the gojo idea.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

have you tried oven cleaner? or pinesol?
dino