1960-61 Mercury 800E - Choke and starting in gear issue

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
So I picked up a new motor (to me) last year, the serial # says 1372301. I was told the motor was newer than what I found out. Anyway, the motor starts in gear? Why would Mercury make a motor that starts in gear and NOT in neutral? That seems polar opposite of what should actually be. This motor also cuts out when you try to put in neutral, is it suppose to do that? Also I know it has an electric choke, but mine isn't hooked up, can anyone help with getting this hooked back up? Thanks in advance for any help.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1960-61 Mercury 800E - Choke and starting in gear issue

Not too sure what you have. Do you know if it is direct reversing or is it a full shift?

Presuming that it is a six cylinder,

Parts list:

Mercury Parts, MERC 800

Service Manual P/N: 90-25500

90-25500 | eBay

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual to help you get started. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MERCURY - MERCURY FOUR & SIX CYLINDER MODELS (1955-1965).

When you decide which one you have, here is a link to the wiring schematics:

Merc Models thru 1965

Mercury Outboard Wiring diagrams -- Mastertech Marin

Gerry

Laddies

Banned

Your engine is 1961/62 Direct Reversing engine and has no neutral. The direct reversing engines were built so the could be fitted with a speedmaster racing lower unit to get by the rule, that a engine must have reverse to qualify to race in the OPC class.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the shift cable adjustment.with engine off and spark cables out and grounded and merccontrol in neutral spin the propeller/shaft.should have a free spin both ways.now do the same in forward-one way should lock into the gear and click other way.reverse should lock both ways.disconnect throttle cable and shift cables inside motor.shifter is the one to move first when you put merccontrol in gear.verifiy that.you might need just to adjust cable.if not that means thad lower unit has to come off and shift splines reajusted.i am not sure for the color of choke wire.in later models it is grey.it should connect to selenoid just above carbs.is uour model 6 cyl??

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

or what laddies said!!

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

WOW, thanks for all the help guys! It is a 6cyl...thanks for explaining the "neutral" issue. That just seems like the DUMBEST thing to do for a MFG...... LET's NOT put a neutral in a motor, and make it only start in gear. LOL Lets see how dangerous we can make this motor. I like the motor and it works perfect for my boat, but sure is gonna make it hard to get used to not really being able to adle to the dock as easy. On the choke issue, there is a wire hanging down from the choke, where does that get hooked up again? It goes to the selenoid, sorry to ask but could you be a little more specific for me? Thanks again for your help.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Tanks for explaining the "neutral" issue. That just seems like the DUMBEST thing to do for a MFG...... LET's NOT put a neutral in a motor, and make it only start in gear. LOL Lets see how dangerous we can make this motor. I like the motor and it works perfect for my boat, but sure is gonna make it hard to get used to not really being able to idle to the dock as easy

Hence the nickname: Dock Buster.....

If it's running, get the choke problem resolved, and unless the motor is period correct for your boat (if that matters to you), it may be more valuable to someone else............ AOMCI & Fiberglassics (and others I'm sure) have many motor collectors that may WANT an early dock buster.

Great looking motors, but yep, hard to control at the dock, until you learn to deal w/ the always in gear. Many don't and may be why you weren't told it was a dock buster.

Good luck & post some pix. I really like the early Mercs, as long as they're running, not mine & someone else has to maintain them :facepalm:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Carl Kiekhaefer, the founder and chief of Mercury at the time, had noticed severe issues with other big outboards and shifting lower units in the late 1950s. So, he ordered his engineers to NOT use a gearshift on the new 6-cylinders that debuted in 1957. Rather, he noted that 2-strokes will run equally well counterclockwise as clockwise, so he had them design that as their means of reversing the big beasts. Wasn't 'til the early sixties that they developed a heavier duty gearcase that could withstand the big motors and phased out the DR models.

mr 88

Commander

They still make smaller hp motors with direct drive,spin it 180 for reverse,no big deal once you learn how to judge wind,wave and current conditions.Not "dangerous" in the right hands,like a lot of other things these days....

merc850

Commander

Used one for 17 yrs. no problem!

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully you can help, I have the electric choke hooked up now but the motor won't start. It ran 3 months ago, I just put new plugs in it.... Any help would be appreciated.