Oil Everywhere

DTM

Seaman Apprentice
I've looked at most of the threads on the forum but could not find anything that relates to my problem. Today I pulled the drive out of my Mercruiser Alpha 1 '86 for the first time to do my own maintainance for the u-joints etc. After I removed the bolts, I rocked the leg and it came out 10mm. Then I thought "oh no, it's not in foward gear" so I pushed it back in, put it in foward gear and pulled it off very easily. The problem is there was oil running out everywhere, probably two cups worth (but it looked like more). Was I supposed to have drained the gear oil before removing it or do I have a major problem? Oil is beautiful and clean.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Oil Everywhere

You don't need to drain the oil before removing the drive.

Is this oil in the bellows? If so, you have a seal gone bad on the yoke. Do you have an internal drive oil monitor? If so, has it been losing oil recently?

That seal's not difficult to replace, if you have the right tools.... But you need to do a pressure and vacuum test on the drive before you start pulling things apart....

Chris..........
As you're so close to me (Mandurah-South Lake) I can offer some help with tools, but the tools stay in my workshop.... ;)

DTM

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Chris. Yes, there was oil in the bellows but it was all over the ground when I pulled it off as well. I do not have an internal drive oil monitor.

achris

If there was that much leaking out, then yes, it can drip onto the ground from the front seal as you remove the drive...

A pressure test will confirm it, but the most likely cause is that front seal, especially if it's a few years old. Once confirmed I also suspect the yoke will have quite a deep groove in it. 3 ways to fix that. 1-replace the yoke, 2-fit a 'speedi-sleeve' to the yoke, 3-Set the seal 20 thou deeper in the carrier and have it run on a 'new' section of the yoke.

Chris........

DTM

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds expensive... What should I do now?

achris

Replacing the drive in Australia is SERIOUSLY expensive. We have no access to SEI drives for anywhere near the same deal as the US. So, my suggestion is to buy yourself a seal kit (26-32511A1), throw the drive in the back of your car and come see me in about a weeks' time. I'll pressure test the drive for you, and we can throw the new seal kit in (if that is the problem. 99% likelihood)... I'll do that for a beer.

Chris.......
P.S. Bring your own oil... :D :D :D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

If the yolk doesn't have a grove go to napa with the old one and match the number or local marine dealer can help you. My alpha 1 Gen 2's seal was only around $10 (Mercury 26-823894 EP) and I had to press it out of it's carrier all in all took about an hour including drive removal,alignment check and re-install.

achris

If the yolk doesn't have a grove go to napa with the old one and match the number or local marine dealer can help you. My alpha 1 Gen 2's seal was only around $10 (Mercury 26-823894 EP) and I had to press it out of it's carrier all in all took about an hour including drive removal,alignment check and re-install.

He's in Australia. We don't have NAPA, or any other decent car parts shops anymore. They are all like fast food joints. If it ain't pre-wrapped and ready to walk out the door, the 17 year old idiot behind the counter hasn't got a clue!

Chris........

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He's in Australia. We don't have NAPA, or any other decent car parts shops anymore. They are all like fast food joints. If it ain't pre-wrapped and ready to walk out the door, the 17 year old idiot behind the counter hasn't got a clue!

Chris........

Well, it's almost that way here in the U.S. now. Unfortunately, it's becoming more common in the NAPA stores now too, both the parts and the idiots.
NAPA is still your best bet if you need something that doesn't come in a blister package, or if you need someone that knows how to look up something in an actual book. It still isn't what it used to be and is progressively getting worse.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Our local napa can get most anything I ask for,but they have old school personal,same age as me! And I don't even have to tell em who I am when I call,they just know....right down to they know when I'm home or at work LOL.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, it's almost that way here in the U.S. now. Unfortunately, it's becoming more common in the NAPA stores now too, both the parts and the idiots.
NAPA is still your best bet if you need something that doesn't come in a blister package, or if you need someone that knows how to look up something in an actual book. It still isn't what it used to be and is progressively getting worse.

Originally Posted by achris

He's in Australia. We don't have NAPA,

Did you miss this part?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replacing the drive in Australia is SERIOUSLY expensive. We have no access to SEI drives for anywhere near the same deal as the US. So, my suggestion is to buy yourself a seal kit (26-32511A1), throw the drive in the back of your car and come see me in about a weeks' time. I'll pressure test the drive for you, and we can throw the new seal kit in (if that is the problem. 99% likelihood)... I'll do that for a beer.

Chris.......
P.S. Bring your own oil... :D :D :D

DTM - This a kind and gracious offer from Chris and probably your best bet. You can't beat the iboats crowd, no matter where you are in the world. Best of luck. Don't forget to check with Chris for his favorite adult beverage.

BTW - On the way up to see Chris, if you happen to pass by a NAPA (New Auto Parts Australia), stop and see if they carry any Mercruiser parts. I'm not serious. :lalala:

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

You did understand I ment not having auto parts stores anymore sucks? right!

achris

While DTM is at my place he has agreed to videoing the servicing of his water pump. That will become my you-tube video for 'Non-Gen II' drives. I should be doing my own water pump soon too (when I get the enthusiasm) and that will be the Gen II service video...

Chris....