Evinrude trim/tilt

I have the down but not the up and I am hoping it's something fairly simple. I have not done much troubleshooting--just bought the boat--but figured I should get some tips from the experts. And I don't have a manual. It's an 1996 Evinrude EL90TLEDA. She runs like a bat outta h... and idles smooth after sitting for about 4 months. The only issue is the trim.

Any thoughts on where to start? Fuse? Solenoid?

Thanks,

Steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude trim/tilt

If when pressing the "UP" button, you hear a click but the PTT motor is not running, it is normally due to a failed relay. Find the relay box (clicking) and switch the relays. If the problem is now reversed = faulty relay.

Thanks Joe. I hear nothing when pressing the up button but pressing down the PTT whines. I should have been more clear. Sorry.

RRitt

Captain

that too can be a relay. follow joes advice just the way he said it. if problem does not reverse then you are looking at a loose wire, broken wire, bad connector, or switch. your trim motor is going to be okay if it works in one direction and you should troubleshoot the control circuits feeding the motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As stated.... sounds like a typical faulty relay situation. The relay box is normally packed away under the hood somewhere, the click of the relay being pretty hard to hear. You can easily trace the electric motor wires back to the relay box.

Here's the skinny. Press Down for PTT and the motor runs and relay (right) clicks. Press Up and no motor running, no relay (left) click.

Switched relays - same problem. Down works (relay that didn't click now clicks) and no Up. It appears both relays are good.

Checked voltage to Up side of wiring in the relay box. While pressing the Up button there is power to the wiring block but no click with either relay in place.

Seems to me the voltage is there, but the Up relay does not click, thus the motor doesn't reverse. Switching relays doesn't make a difference.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The PTT motor is a dual polarity motor meaning that if it runs in one direction, it will most certainly run in the opposite direction... so the electric motor is okay.

In switching/reversing the relays physically, the problem stays the same (down mode only)and does not reverse itself... this indicates that both relays are okay.

If in the UP mode, you do indeed have voltage (12v) being delivered from the PTT switch to the green wire, and that voltage is present at that green wire at the relay box... I would strongly suspect a broken wire, corroded terminal, something of that sort at the relay socket.

Well...the motor is fine and it all works well as long as I connect the wires a certain way. It is definitely a wire problem in there someplace. The switch is good but there is a break in the bundle. No worries...it's a matter of time now. Thanks for all the assistance!! It lead me in the right direction.

RRitt

Captain

both relays work as a team to make the motor go up and down. there is not a specific "UP" or "DOWN" relay. There is howver, a specific "UP' and "DOWN" control wire. The green control is for down and the blue control is for up.

find the blue control wire and test it for 12V when you push the up button. a simple $2 circuit tester works great Wel-Bilt Automotive Circuit Tester | Automotive Diagnostics| Northern Tool + Equipment

trace it back segment by segment until you reach the switch. Somewhere along the way you will find a broken wire, connection, switch, fuse, or similar.

It looks like corrosion somewhere in a connection to ground. It could be a wire with a break but unlikely. The worst thing was that I was making really good progress, tracing the wires, checking continuity, voltage, switch, loosening and tightening and pulling and tugging... when out of the blue it started working perfectly. I put it up and down a dozen times and perfect.

Good lord. :facepalm:

I will still fiddle with it, but at least I know how to bypass the switching to get it to operate enough to tilt up or down at the dock. BTW...the switch is good, the relays are good...it's in the wire or the connection and it's just a matter of time before I find it or it finds me.

:) Thanks again.