95 johnson 88 spl been sittin

baron6405

Cadet
i got a 95 sprint 267 bass boat from my grandfather about a week ago it has a 95 johnson 88 spl on it well the boat has been sitting in the garage for about 6 years before he put it up to store it he run the engine till it ran out of fuel then drained the remaining fuel from the tank removed the batteries and sprayed sea foam in the intake now for the question..... what should i do before i fire this thing back up??? i know i need to replace the fuel line and change all the fluids but other than that not sure oh and the boat was always fresh water and garage kept may have 100 hours of run time thanks for the help

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95 johnson 88 spl been sittin

I would change the gear oil, with new gaskets, and change the impeller. May have dry rotted from sitting. Dont want it falling apart on startup clogging your cooling circuit.

The carb may need cleaning as well, as the old fuel will have dried up. I know you say he ran it dry, but it never gets totally dry. There would have been some fuel/oil mix left which will now be gummed up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Also when you get it running, do a good decarb on it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Check out the FAQs and the Top Secret Files, thorough explanation there.