Almost Wet Myself Today

Capt Ken

Commander
So I get a phone call at my shop from a gentleman wanting information before buying a used boat and motor. Wanted to know how much to reconnect a rod in an engine? I said, WHAT? Claimed the seller said that all was wrong was a rod had come loose and what was needed was someone to reconnect it. I had to stiffle a laugh and that was when I almost wet myself. I had to explain that rods just don't come loose and you don't just go in and reconnect one. If a rod came loose then it was usually because the piston has seized and I would bet my lunch money that the engine was junk. Mid 80's three cylinder Evenrude. In 30 years, that was a first for me.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Almost Wet Myself Today

Maybe and hopefully he was talking about a "rod" on the boat/motor Other Than a piston rod!...maybe a steering rod or shifter shaft/rod?...who knows?:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I say it all the time. Sellers have one thing on their minds, To make your money go from your pocket to theirs. And making up silly excuses that it's only the "___fill in the blank__" that needs fixed, and that's just a very inexpensive part. I just don't have the time.

That, is a huge red flag on any deal for anything. If it was so easy and cheap, they would have had it fixed and sell it for even more.

64osby

Admiral

I say it all the time. Sellers have one thing on their minds, To make your money go from your pocket to theirs. And making up silly excuses that it's only the "___fill in the blank__" that needs fixed, and that's just a very inexpensive part. I just don't have the time.

That, is a huge red flag on any deal for anything. If it was so easy and cheap, they would have had it fixed and sell it for even more.

See this a lot on used cars. I think part of it is people are getting lazy and don't know how to fix it and don't really care.

I was at the hardware store today and the guy managing the store mentioned his horn on his car stopped working. I had to show him where the horn was on the vehicle. He said last time the horn stopped working on of his buds hit it with a hammer to get it working.

I know when I see an adv. like that I'm pretty sure the owner knows nothing about maintaining what ever it is.