Naugahyde marine vinyl

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Naugahyde marine vinyl

Very funny, buellwinkle.

Welcome to iboats, Mack. You want heavy-duty vinyl with UV inhibitors. I don't think regular Naugahyde will stand up to the sun, but their marine products should be fine.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking, vinyl is not the most comfortable material in the hot sun to sit or lie on. Has anyone tried using like a sunbrella fabric used in higher end cushions for outdoor furniture?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Since I have my own commercial sewing machine and a roll of subrella I got for free I have used it for cushions and all kinds of stuff. Its difficult to sew into cushions cause its so stiff and not all that comfy to sit on. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Since I have my own commercial sewing machine and a roll of subrella I got for free I have used it for cushions and all kinds of stuff. Its difficult to sew into cushions cause its so stiff and not all that comfy to sit on. JMHO
They actually make lighter weights of sunbrella that are perfect for cushions. In fact, many lawn furniture manufacturers use sunbrella for cushions.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

When choosing a marine vinyl, make sure whatever you opt for does NOT have the white fuzzy backing. This is not marine vinyl and will hold water until you get the black mold spots coming thru. SeaBrook, EnduraTex, Milborn, etc are all good marine vinyls. Go to your local upholstery shop and have them show you the brand names and the samples. They will even order it for you.

Sunbrella makes a full line of nice upholstery fabrics. The standard canvas for bimini's and enclosures is not upholstery fabric. Yes, you can use it as that, but as noted, it will be stiff until it gets worn in a bit. Just ask the suppliers for the upholstery faqbric catalog. BTW, it's $$$

mackgraham

Recruit

I think I have made my decision on material. I think I am going to use the naugahyde marine vinyl. The backing on it resembles that of the spralding brand. It says it is uv and mildew resistant. It is heavy stuff. It says 1.8 pounds per yard. Thanks for all the info!!

mackgraham

Recruit

Fireman 431. The material I am removing from my seats now has the white fuzy backing on it. I understand it may not be marine viny but it seems to have held up well. 18 plus years. You can really tell it does not repell water to well though. Just about all the foam on the boat was soaked. I got luck on the mold part. Virtually zero mold found. With the exception of being wet the foam is still in great condition and has dried out perfectly!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know,there is a difference between fuzzy backing and what looks like a cloth backing. Marine vinyl still has a woven backing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think I have made my decision on material. I think I am going to use the naugahyde marine vinyl. The backing on it resembles that of the spralding brand. It says it is uv and mildew resistant. It is heavy stuff. It says 1.8 pounds per yard. Thanks for all the info!!
So what model of naugahyde is it?

mackgraham

Recruit

The stuff I plan on using has a knit backing. It looks nothing like the old vinyl I am removing from my seats which has the fuzy backing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Are you doing this yourself or having someone else do it?