Mercruiser 165 shifts hard after lower unit install

sledhead26

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the water pump in my lower unit and after i installed it, it seems like it shifts a lot harder than it did before. (1970 mercruiser) I have not ran it yet due to the cold temps outside to see how it shifts but i know i installed it correctly. I've done many in the past. It does shift into all gears its just harder to get out of neutral into forward and reverse. Do i have to adjust the cables? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 165 shifts hard after lower unit install

I have no idea what it could be, but if it was ok before you removed and re-installed the lower, then it's time to pull it back apart and find out what happened.

sledhead26

Seaman Apprentice

I have no idea what it could be, but if it was ok before you removed and re-installed the lower, then it's time to pull it back apart and find out what happened.

When everything is assembled correctly the unit should ratchet when its shifted into forward gear when you spin the prop by hand? Correct? What should it do when its in reverse?
On another note, when the lower is off the shift shaft needs to be turned clockwise until it stops. Does it just stop or does it click/lock in place?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Are you shifting while the engine is running? Did yo have the drive in forward when you removed/installed it so the shift fork lines up properly.

This is what an alpha drive looks like. Not sure if models as old as yours are the same.
2011-08-06_122038_shiftfork.jpg

sledhead26

Seaman Apprentice

No i just shifted it with the engine off. Too cold right now the hook it up to the muffs. My drive is a mc-1 and it does look the same as the alpha. The shift arm is parallel with the boat as it should. The drive and shifter at the helm are also in forward gear when installing. Maybe i just need to run it to make sure. Have to wait a few days to back it out of the garage and run it on the muffs. Only 10 degrees here.

sledhead26

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the shift shaft question before i meant the shaft in the lower unit not the shaft from the upper housing. sorry for the confusion

Bondo

Staff member

When everything is assembled correctly the unit should ratchet when its shifted into forward gear when you spin the prop by hand? Correct? What should it do when its in reverse?
On another note, when the lower is off the shift shaft needs to be turned clockwise until it stops. Does it just stop or does it click/lock in place?

Ayuh,.... In reverse, it'll do the opposite of what it does in forward,....

The lower has to be shifted into forward, 'n Held there...

I tension the propshaft with a bungee strap myself...

No lock,... No click...

sledhead26

Seaman Apprentice

Well it sounds like I've done everything correctly. I'll check a couple more things out tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks again for all the comments and help. This is a great site.