Trolling with a 2 stroke

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Sometimes durring the winter time in southern IL guys do a bunch of trolling for Muskies and Walleye. Since I have a 2 Stroke 78 Mercury 50HP some guys say that I can troll for like 1 hour and then runn the motor at high speed, and some say I can do it all day long at 3-4mp/h

With it being a 2 stroke I read something about that those engines are not designed for long ideling...

Should I even think about douing some trolling?

Thanks

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trolling with a 2 stroke

Give it a try.The most your going to do is foul the plugs which can be cleaned anyways.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I have way more trolling hours on my outboards than I ever had running. The plugs might want to foul a bit but it doesn't hurt anything. I would throw it into neutral and rev the idle speed once in a while and trolled for as long as 6 hours or more. When I say rev it a little bit I mean a "little" bit don't rev it in neutral to 10000 rpm just a couple of thousand for 15-20 seconds. The biggest problem was getting slow enough, a trolling bag or dragging a 5 gal pail with holes in the bottom helps a lot.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

When you guys mention "plugs" Im sure you are refaring to spark plugs?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used to troll with my '79 Johnny 70HP for many hours at a time (see avatar). Replaced surface gap plugs annually.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sometimes durring the winter time in southern IL guys do a bunch of trolling for Muskies and Walleye. Since I have a 2 Stroke 78 Mercury 50HP some guys say that I can troll for like 1 hour and then runn the motor at high speed, and some say I can do it all day long at 3-4mp/h

With it being a 2 stroke I read something about that those engines are not designed for long ideling...

Should I even think about douing some trolling?

Thanks

At 3/4mph you wont have to worry about loading up the motor. You'll be giving it throttle. That's trolling pretty fast. Pretty much top end for muskies. I usually troll 2.5 - 3mph with a 60hp and I'm giving it throttle.. Sometimes faster depending on what "they" want. You'll be trolling a lot slower for walleyes. Will need to back troll if you have a tiller and it still may not be slow enough. Like whats been said, you wont hurt anything..... How about an electric trolling motor for the walleyes?

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

For the walleyes I can use my 70LB trolling motor it has enough power to do the trolling for smaller baits. since I dont have GPS on my fish finder I really dont know how fast I will be going with the big motor, but the estimate is 3-4 mph

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You're set, electric for walleyes and the 50hp for muskies...... That's exactly what I do........ Muskies actually like the commotion of an outboard. Some guys drag a lure back a little ways in the prop wash.........

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

yup that is correct. The guy that I used to fish with all the time (untill I got my own boat last month) used to run two rods on the boatside, so that the lures are really close to the prop. I cant recall how many fish we got that way.

Thanks for the help

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I use a double jointed pikie minnow and lead core line for muskys. If I tried to run 3 mph it would pull the pole out of my hand. If I put it in a pole holder I couldn't get it out.

I set my kicker at 1.9 mph using a paddle wheel speedometer. It agrees right on with the GPS. I troll with the 9.9 for about 5 hours at a time, with a 20 min lunch break. When it was new I would foul the plugs and have to goose it up to WOT for a few minutes every half hour, until it stopped blowing smoke. After I switched to Splitfire plugs I haven't seen a bit of smoke and i can run for hours on end without fouling.

I realize most people say bunk to Splitfires, but they worked so well for me I wanted to buy stock in the company!