Honda BF100D can I move an anode?

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bout an 83 Honda 10 hp BF100D Serial Number B100L-1501888. There is a piece of metal under the cavitation plate that I believe the book calls an anode. Using a book online at the moment. It is right where I want to mount a trolling plate, my question is can I move it or does it need to stay right there. I'm not really sure what it's purpose is either. I'll be grateful for any help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Honda BF100D can I move an anode?

The sacrificial anode can be located anywhere in the water. It is intended to corrode itself, saving the aluminum case from corrosion. It should be attached without any paint under it, so that it conducts electricity well.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, thank you. That explains why it looks like it does. I should be able to make one hole bigger than and just use a longer bolt with my trolling plate. One looks about as corroded as the other.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If anodes are higly corroded, proper time for new ones...

Happy Boating

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I only have one, and it is. Guess I'll have to try to get another, or do I need 2?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You'll have to check your manual. some motors have several. Basic rule of thumb is if it looks like it is more than 50% gone than replace. It's also a good idea to replace them annually as preventative maintenance just like when you change the lower gear oil and spark plugs etc.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, my service manual is on back order. It was supposed to be in last thursday. Not sure what 50% is, as I never saw it new. But the corners are all rounded, and it is pitted. Motor was on a sailboat, and the marina serviced it since it was new. The guy I bought it from had it 15 to 20 years. I talked to someone in the marina, it wasn't the mechanic. I don't know about the first owner, but the same marina took care of it than.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

By the sound of it, you need to replace the anode. You could always take it off and bring it to a marina or store to compare it to a new one. 50% isn't just size. Sometimes a zinc (anode) can be close to the same physical size as a new one but all pitted and eaten away on the inside. (breaks in your hand like a piece of chalk) They're pretty cheap to replace though. If you have any doubts you're always better off replacing them. Having been used on a sailboat means low overall hours as compared to being on a power boat, and having had only one professional service place work on the motor since new are both GREAT things to hear. You will hopefully get many more years out of the motor.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, I fell into that deal. I was checking out one older. It was like pulling teeth getting info on it, mid 70's and the guy wouldn't go below $800. Insulted I tried. I was getting information at the Honda shop and a customer told me about this one. One thing led to another, and on the owner's 70th birthday, I bout it from him for 600. About 20 hrs on the last tune up, it's surprising if the anode needed replaced they didn't, and the marina will check previous work done on the motor for me. It hasn't been out of the water for several years, except for normal work done on it. They had ropes and pulleys tied to it for steering, you could barely reach it for starting, shifting gears, and throttle. Hadn't been started since august except 3 days before I looked at it, and it started on the 8th pull, I counted, at that was with the temps in the single digits.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Was it on a transom mount on the sailboat or are you saying that it was permanently mounted so the engine was always in the water? As far as not replacing the zinc at the last tune up they may have tuned it up while it was on the boat as it is a pretty easy thing to do and the lower unit only needs servicing every 2 seasons. If the zinc had been replaced earlier in the year they may have figured it was ok. But sounds like it needs to be replaced now. Can't be sure without seeing it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Can't get to my pics at the moment, and the first I took was after they started unhooking it. But the sailboat was sort of rounded in the back, and the ropes were tied to each corner of the handle. The ropes went 90 deg to each side to pulleys, and then up into the sailboat. The boat was on a bracket I'd say 2 feet behind the boat. The engine was in the water 12 months a year. Last serviced end of June 2011, and that was the last time out of the water. I get the anode off, and it doesn't look so bad, but it's off now, might as well replace it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

The steering mechanism is unhooked now, but there is also the rudder. The rope you see now is tying the tarp down. The other 2 went from the corner of the handle there to pulleys held out on either side which came right off. looking at the pic, I'd say the motor was 3 ft or more back

Attachments

• IMGP0078.jpg
    IMGP0078.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

The steering mechanism is unhooked now, but there is also the rudder. The rope you see now is tying the tarp down. The other 2 went from the corner of the handle there to pulleys held out on either side which came right off. looking at the pic, I'd say the motor was 3 ft or more back

That bracket the motor is on is a common design and is designed to be raised and lowered so when they were done using the boat they could raise the motor up out of the water. If you're saying that the motor was always left in the water (like the picture shows) and the last service date was June of 2011 then the zinc should definitely be replaced. I think the steering mechanism you described may have been for the shift and throttle as that size sailboat would be steered by the sailboats rudder and not it's engine.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That could be. I'm real ignorant on sailboats, and other things. I mentioned the unique steering, and they just said it worked great. I didn't think of the rudder til I was posting the pic on here. They, the person from the marina and the PO, also said they kept the engine in the water most of the time to protect it from freezing. The covered dock was in the current of a river. I was surprised the motor was on the boat, but they said they kept it there all winter usually. As I said it was single digits that day, and no ice in the water there.