150 hp evinrude outboard electric tilt

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so I picked up a 78 glastron ssv 188 and I had the guy hook up the battery and show me tilt worked and it did so I hooked up a battery when I got home tilt went half way down and then would do nothing wireing sucks in the boat is there a main fuse for it what should I check

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 hp evinrude outboard electric tilt

You did not say what year the outboard was. If it is a matching 1978 Johnson or Evinrude: That trim system has a separate trim control box which mounts under the rear splashwell. Inside that box is a single solenoid and a fuse. The fuse in that control box is p/n 511386, a typical clear round glass fuse. The solenoid controls the up movement only. The down movement is wired direct to the switch in the handle on the control box. That trim system needs to be full of fluid to function properly-check the fluid level in the reservoir.

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im not sure if its a matching outboard but the control box does say evinrude I saw the control box your talking about where is reservoir that would hold the fluid for the trim system I thought this trim system would be nice but now starting to wonder

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The trim system on your engine was used for years and years, with only a change in the system electrics. Generally, it's a pretty bullet-proof system. The reservoir sits opposite the motor on this unit. Midway down the side of the reservoir is a screw. Once the screw is removed, the hydraulic fluid should be full to the lower lip of the hole. Once filled, repl the plug and activate the trim up/down a few cycles. This will cause the unit to self-bleed internally. Remove the plug and recheck the fluid level. If the fluid is still low, you may well have to add to it numerous times, then re-bleed it. If you would like to see the factory exploded parts diagram, this website may be helpful: epc.brp.com