1982 Johnson 4.5hp Carburetor Bowl Drain

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago (model J5RHLCNR) and of course I had the seller demo it so now it has some fuel sitting in it of questionable age/quality (probably no stabilizer either) and I want to drain it. The diagrams show a drain screw but I see no way of accessing it without removing the carburetor from the engine; is this the only way to do it? It is probably going to sit for another 4 months before I get to use it.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1982 Johnson 4.5hp Carburetor Bowl Drain

i'd say you have three options

1. mix up a gallon of fuel ,add stabilizer, run it in a barrel for 10 minutes.

2. remove the carb, clean it, and rekit it. ( replace the impeller also). this would be my choice unless the seller showed you current receipts for both.

3. dont worry about it until it is a problem ( which may not be the case)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This may sound off the wall, but just take the mtr and hold it upside down over a bucket until all the fuel drains out of it and you should be okay. Good thing it's a small mtr.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

nwcove:
I was afraid you'd say that. It's interesting to note how easy it is to drain newer engines as the manufacturers realize how important this step is to maintaining an outboard. The previous owner said he "cleaned it", but that could mean anything. I'd like to rekit it but I'm thinking I should get a service manual before I attempt it, unless the kits come with detailed instructions on removing the carb? I was also thinking of purchasing the manual from these guys: RecRepairInfo - Downloadable PDF Repair Manuals and would be interested to know if you or anyone you know has used them.

boobie:
That does sound off the wall; have you tried this yourself? If I tried your suggestion I would be afraid that the fuel would have nowhere to go and would perhaps "gunk up" other areas. I guess I could just leave it upside down on a pile of newspaper?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've done it before and after it all drained out I sprayed the mtr down with some CRC Cleaner Degreaser, let it sit and blew it off with air and the put it back in the upright position.

nwcove

Admiral

the carb will come off that motor quite easily. ( recoil assembly isnt in the way). does it have the tank on top? if so the carb is a bit more complicated , but still a relatively easy job. if your situation permits, the easiest thing to do would be to run it in a trash can with fresh stabilized fuel for awhile. jmo

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very simple to remove. Remove the cam follower (#17 in the link provided) and the link (#18). After that you can remove the 2 nuts that holds the carb (#37). Maintained lots of those engines. Personally i would just run the engine in a trash can with some stabilizer and fresh fuel but even that is not really necessary. Those engines run always ;)

http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1982/J5RHLCNR/CARBURETOR - 4.5/parts.html

Oke, not allowed to post links from other sites. Do a search for your model and you will find it ;)

Last edited: