4.3LX Alpha 1 Thermostat

DIYBoater12

Cadet
There has to be a thread on this but cant find it. I need to replace my thermostat in the coming months and want to be sure I am doing this correctly. It appears that I remove the 2 bolts on top of the housing, then there is a cover on the top that I remove to get to the thermostat, correct? When I do this I should replace both the seal and the gasket at the same time. Thanks for helping with this dumb question, just want to be sure I am doing this right.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3LX Alpha 1 Thermostat

You probably won't find a thread on it either, and if you did, it could be the wrong one.
Post a picture of your thermostat housing, there have been several designs.
A Serial number for your engine would also help. The 4.3LX had several versions over the 88 to 98 time period the LX name was used. Year only gets us in the ball park since Merc doesn't really go by year.

DIYBoater12

Cadet

boat is in storage for the winter, so no pic at the moment. (I will take some at beginning of season so I always have some)
The motor SN is 0F608977.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It appears that I remove the 2 bolts on top of the housing, then there is a cover on the top that I remove to get to the thermostat, correct? When I do this I should replace both the seal and the gasket at the same time. Thanks for helping with this dumb question, just want to be sure I am doing this right.

Absolutely....

DIYBoater12

Cadet

Okay, another thing. Finding the part online, one site says to get the 807252T 2 and another show 807252 2. Are these the same thing?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Okay, another thing. Finding the part online, one site says to get the 807252T 2 and another show 807252 2. Are these the same thing?

They are the same part. One supersedes to the other.

Don S

You should have the thermostat housing circled in blue.

#18  GM V6 93-97 Bal Sft 538.jpg

DIYBoater12

Cadet

You should have the thermostat housing circled in blue.

View attachment 179671

Correct, that is the one.

I was wrong, it appears I need to take off all the hose, flip that upside down and remove those component and then re-install in that order gasket, thermostat, housing then the gasket. Anything I am missing? Thanks for the information.

Don S

It's normal to pull the hoses off to remove the stat. Otherwise you can't get to things to clean the old torn up gaskets off.

DIYBoater12

Cadet

What is a approximate cost to have the impeller changed? I am guessing that would be a bit to much for me to take on.

Don S

That would be a question for the people you have do the job. Probably in the range of 1-2 hours plus parts. Assuming they actually pull the drive and make sure the rest is ok in the bellows and there are no leaks. They can also check alignment and grease the coupler spline if you haven't been doing that. (Yearly maintenance thing.)