What Gas should I use

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
I should have probibly asked this question in my previus thread but I thought it would be nice to keep things seperate. Again this comes from the mechanic that I had replace the water pump.

I was told to use good gas.... (89) at the pump. I personally dont have any issues using that or the highest grade but is that the right gas to use for an older 2 cycle outboard. He also told me to use SeaFoam every 3rd tank. I sometimes think that the mechanics tell you all the bullshi* so that your outboard brakes and you bring it in for them to fix it.

What do you guys think?
Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Gas should I use

Well, the advice was sort of correct and sort of incorrect. Your engine was designed to run and regular gas so 87 octane is fine. There is no benefit to using a higher octane fuel. 89 octane is not a "better" gas -- it is higher octane to prevent detonation in higher compression engines and does not provide more power. As for Sea Foam (or any other fuel additive) it is a good idea to use it. When and how much depends on how you use your engine. If it is used infrequently, use the additive in every tank of fuel. If you use the fuel quickly then his advice is proper.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

+1 to what Silvertip said.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I sort of agree with both Silvertip and JB. They are spot on on the Gasoline recommendations. Howeveer, I personally do not believe in using any additives in the gasoline. I do not think is it warranted. Seafoam is a anti-carbon additive, but carbon does not build up significantly with ever tank of gasoline. Maybe yu do a decarb every year or two....maybe.

I do use a fuel stabilizer in the fall for layup, but that is it. Of course, I have been boating long before fuel stailizer was invented. We never had any issues using last year's gas.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I sort of agree with both Silvertip and JB. They are spot on on the Gasoline recommendations. Howeveer, I personally do not believe in using any additives in the gasoline. I do not think is it warranted. Seafoam is a anti-carbon additive, but carbon does not build up significantly with ever tank of gasoline. Maybe yu do a decarb every year or two....maybe.

I do use a fuel stabilizer in the fall for layup, but that is it. Of course, I have been boating long before fuel stailizer was invented. We never had any issues using last year's gas.

I agree on the lowest octane gas being fine, and better b/c it's cheaper.

I agree that sea foam might not be necessary that often since it fights carbon build-up. That can be a real problem for people who run slow a lot (trollers, long no-wake zones) but not for others who run at higher speeds.

As for stabilizer: you didn't need it before because you didn't have E10 gas. Now that you do (or most of us do), you might not need it if you use your fuel every 30-60 days. if it sits longer (including lay-ups) and you are in humidity or fluctuating temps, you probably need it. having a water seperator may cut down on the need for it. So does luck.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I should have probibly asked this question in my previus thread but I thought it would be nice to keep things seperate. Again this comes from the mechanic that I had replace the water pump.

I was told to use good gas.... (89) at the pump. I personally dont have any issues using that or the highest grade but is that the right gas to use for an older 2 cycle outboard. He also told me to use SeaFoam every 3rd tank. I sometimes think that the mechanics tell you all the bullshi* so that your outboard brakes and you bring it in for them to fix it.

What do you guys think?
Thanks

87 octane is fine from any major producer. Sea foam is a good engine cleaner but every third tank sounds like a bit much unless your engine is real dirty to begin with. Maybe a few times a season if that. It may not help if used more often but it certainly won't hurt.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Guys... That gives me an idea on what I should use and how. Since my boat does NOT have an inboard (I call it that) fuel tank, instead I have a portabile 6GL tank that I use so I could always easily properly dispose of some old gass that has been left over. I am actually thinking about getting a bigger tank maybe a 8 or 10GL but then I would run into room issues on the deck.

Scanoe

Seaman Apprentice

Not trying to thread jack, but i always add an oz per gallon of seafoam to any gas I use for a small engine. I was under the assumption it not only was a cleaner but also a fuel stabilizer. Basically I use it in place of Stabil. Am I wrong?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Not trying to thread jack, but i always add an oz per gallon of seafoam to any gas I use for a small engine. I was under the assumption it not only was a cleaner but also a fuel stabilizer. Basically I use it in place of Stabil. Am I wrong?

Nope, you're right. If you have any more questions, however, please start your own thread. You'll get more responses.......