Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Paint for the Outdrive . . .???

tpenfield

Staff member
I read a thread over on THT where someone used Rustoleum's CGC to paint & protect there propeller with good results. I was going to try that on my SS props and maybe even on the outdrives.

I know that there are a few Rustoleum fans here, and I wondered about thoughts and experience in using their galvanizing paint as an undercoat for props and outdrives - salt water use moored 5-6 months a year. The top coat will probably a ridiculously expensive anti-fouling paint for outdrives.

early model Bravo III outdrives as per signature below

TIA for your comments and experiences.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Paint for the Outdrive . . .???

Anyone :noidea:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of galvanizing a SS prop. Sounds like a way of making things corrode faster.

People try all sorts of things and post them on forums. Doesn't make it right or something anyone else would even think of trying.

tpenfield

Staff member

Never heard of galvanizing a SS prop. Sounds like a way of making things corrode faster.

People try all sorts of things and post them on forums. Doesn't make it right or something anyone else would even think of trying.

Yea, I did a little more searching on THT and found a link to a Pettit product designed for underwater coating of metals, including SS.

Pettit Products - Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier

Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier. So, probably the Rustoleum stuff with a marine label on it.

The zinc on the stainless steel is sacrificial and would act like an extra anode, saving the aluminum of the outdrive casing from sacrificing itself to the stainless steel.

Looks like I'll try it. I notice that they do not list aluminum as one of the prescribed metals . . . so, I'll just do the props.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let us know how that works out. I'm betting it doesn't stay on long enough to be an anode ... ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

Let us know how that works out. I'm betting it doesn't stay on long enough to be an anode ... ;)

Yup, nothing really stays on the props. In the past, I have coated my SS props with anti-fouling to keep the barnacles from growing, but by mid-season the paint is mostly off.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Paint for the Propeller . . .???

I found a few more threads on various forums. . . It looks the folks who have tried it swear by it. . .

Anti-fouling for Prop and Shaft - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

seems like it is only meant for props, shafts, etc, but not the outdrive itself.

tpenfield

Staff member

I went 'shopping' this weekend and got some paint supplies for the outdrives and the props. . .

I cleaned out West Marine of their 2 remaining cans of 'Zinc Chromate Primer' . . . I rarely see it on the store selves, so I grabbed what was there. Also got some Rustoleum - 'Cold Galvanizing Compound' for the props and 'gloss black' for the outdrive topcoat, which will then get covered by the outdrive anti-fouling I have on order.

IMG_1812.jpg

Since it is wicked cold outside, I heated up the propellers in the oven before painting them in the garage. Seems to have worked OK.

IMG_1820.jpg

We shall see how they hold up in the water . . . never got much paint to stay on a prop . . . :noidea:

The outdrives are ice cold, and they won't fit in the oven. . . So they will have to wait until we get some warm weather around here.

IMG_1819.jpg

TTFN

Last edited:

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm so glad I don't boat in saltwater. Those outdrives look nasty.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm so glad I don't boat in saltwater. Those outdrives look nasty.

Yea, sad part is that the outdrives have only been in fresh water so far. . . . So, they can get nasty looking even in fresh water.

A buddy of mine has the same outdrive, year, etc, but just a single engine, not twin, and he's in salt, yet his outdrive looks perfect. :facepalm:

tpenfield

Staff member

Well. I was able to heat the garage and the outdrives enough to get the primer coat on the outdrives today.

Here is a picture of the Primed outdrives . . .

IMG_1825.jpg

This year will be their first time in salt water . . . So, I want to get a good coat of primer & paint on them. I ordered the anodes today, along with the retrofit kit for the hub anode, since these are early model Bravo III's, which had some corrosion issues due to insufficient anode protection.

Last edited:

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need more primer...these look like sprayed, not coated...waste of material.
Just my 2 cents.

tpenfield

Staff member

I do need more primer . . . ran out, and I bought all that the store had. . . . Guess I'll have to order some from iBoats ;)

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do need more primer . . . ran out, and I bought all that the store had. . . . Guess I'll have to order some from iBoats ;)
When in doubt on whether you have enough paint when working on the number of smaller pieces it's always a good idea to start and finish just one applying the recomended number of coats at the recomended thickness wet on wet. This way you save on labor and material not sanding the whole thing over again.
You may know that but might be helpful for somebody else.
Good luck with your twins. :friendly_wink:

tpenfield

Staff member

End of Season UPDATE -

The outdrive will need some TLC over the winter . . . but, I was surprised to see how well the Cold Galvanizing Compound held up on the props. The picture below is after the power washing and removal.

IMG_3049.jpg

The inside prop has a few areas of voids in the paint . . . probably from metal depletion, but generally the paint held on well. So, I will probably do the same next year.

Still gotta do something better with the outdrives . . .

Last edited:

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the update Penfield. Sure is nice to see real world experience with products. :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member

Another quick update on the cold galvanizing compost for the SS props. The voids in the coating on the props look more like sacrificial depletion than peeling of the paint. So, I am planning the same for this year.

One thing that I did, which I will share, was to clean and slightly rough up the surface of the props. then soak the props in 'Iron Out' to remove any oxidation, and put them in a 150 degree F oven for about 15 minutes. Then I took the props immediately outside (one at a time) and sprayed the cold Galvanizting Compond on them. The heat from the props really seem to make a nice paint bond and it lasted all season with about 50 hours of engine use.

i think that this years, since they already have a good base of paint on them, I will just rough the surface up slightly with steel wool, and do the oven and immediate painting trick.

just wanted to share the details of the technique I used. :)

it seemed that having a weak metal (cold galvanizing) directly on the props really helped with the corrosion protection, so is probably a good idea for dual prop outdrives in a salt water environment.