Got a question on "foam"

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in the middle rebuilding a 15 foot trihull "magnum" brand open bow. I have the top off and the hull cleaned with new stringers in now ready to pattern and cut the floor. I was going to order the foam that mix in two parts and pour in the floor for sound and added insulation. I noticed at Walmart they have areasol cans of foam. The description says its a closed cell expanding foam for insulation and sealing voids. Is this the same stuff as the pour two part foam? I am guessing that it would take maybe 4 or 5 cans @ $3.99 compared to $50.00 for the pour foam plus shipping. Can it be used in place of ? Sounds like I am trying to cut corners and be cheap but just trying to save some money. This is available and I would have to order the other stuff and wait.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Got a question on "foam"

I've never seen anything in a can that is truly closed cell,.......

Even if it was I doubt you would get the volume you need out of 4 or 5 cans,...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You overestimate the quantity of foam in those cans, it'll probably take 25 cans or more to foam your boat. The 2 part mix is much cheaper than the canned foam.

Have you figured how many cubic feet of the 2 part it will take to fill your below deck?

tpenfield

Staff member

The spray can urethane foams are great for using as an adhesive and maybe filling a few gaps here and there, but no match for the needs of flotation/structural foam in boats.

once you use the 2-part mix foam, you will see that it is quite different than the insulating foam that you buy at home improvement centers, etc.

jbcurt00

Staff member

The pour in foam will also do a much better job of SIGNIFICANTLY filling the hull w/ foam.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, I wasn't sure , but thanks for the info. I noticed that there is two different foams in the cans. One for close small fills and another for big fills. I read the descriptions and looked the manuf. on the net all claim to be "closed cell" I don't really know how to estimate the "volume" I will need , only that the space will be about 8 inches deep at the deepest graduating to 0 clearance on the side. The width is about 55 inches and length of the main beam is about 9.5 feet . So I am not that good with math to figure that cavity. Only to pour and see 2013-01-14 12.11.59.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

ok, I wasn't sure , but thanks for the info. I noticed that there is two different foams in the cans. One for close small fills and another for big fills. I read the descriptions and looked the manuf. on the net all claim to be "closed cell" I don't really know how to estimate the "volume" I will need , only that the space will be about 8 inches deep at the deepest graduating to 0 clearance on the side. The width is about 55 inches and length of the main beam is about 9.5 feet . So I am not that good with math to figure that cavity. Only to pour and see

I understand about the math thing. Figuring cubic feet (concrete) is part of my job, and I do it a lot.

By your measurements you will need 14.29 cubic feet of foam to fill that void... that is if you pour at the optimum temperature for expansion which is 80*F or above. If you pour in cooler temperatures you will need more foam because it doesn't expand as much at temps below 80*.

I'd order (2) 16 lb. kits (8 cubic feet each) from here:
Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

They have fast shipping and great service.

jbcurt00

Staff member

This may help calculate cubic volume, but you need to convert everything to inches or feet....\

And showing the work:

If you make the assumption that you are filling a rectangular area (half from centerline to port and again centerline to starboard, combined to make a rectangle/square):

Foamvolume_zps86d1ac35.jpg

Using the above online calculator & your dimensions (27.5" wide(1/2 the total beam) by 8" deep at the keel by 114" long) {converted all to feet: 2.3X0.66667X9.5} I got 14.6+/- cubic feet. So it confirms that my 'rectangle' estimate is very close and Jig's recommended 2 kits is spot on too....

On a fairly low profile tri-hull, the above method would be less accurate...
Probably work fairly good on this type of semi/deep Vee hull shape:
Taperedhull_zpse672ef7f.jpg

But not on this 'tri-hull':
CantedVSUn-cantedstringers_zps4f31ebd0.png

tpenfield

Staff member

One thing that I have found with the 2-part foam kits is that you do not get the full volume of foam, unless you are working with it at a fairly high temperature (80-90 F degrees).

I concur with the math of about 14 cubic feet, so you might be OK with 2 kits of 8 cubic feet each.

If you are working in colder temperatures (60-70 F) . . . maybe you want more like a kit(s) totalling 20 cubic feet.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Using the above online calculator & your dimensions (27.5" wide(1/2 the total beam) by 8" deep at the keel by 114" long) {converted all to feet: 2.3X0.66667X9.5} I got 14.6+/- cubic feet. So it confirms that my 'rectangle' estimate is very close and Jig's recommended 2 kits is spot on too....

I was wondering if someone was going to check my math... should'a figured it would be you.:laugh:

I didn't use the calculator and just figured it like I would a concrete pour, I figured half the width and 8" depth and the total length then multiplied by 2 and came up with the 14.3... then after I posted I figured it with the rectangle method and came up with 14.51. I'm sure the difference is because I figured 4" @ .33' and 8" @ .67'... that extra .01 will getcha every time, amazing at how much an extra 1/8" will change stuff like that.

... but thanks for checking me, I coulda messed up... I've done it before.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I wasn't really checking you... It was more about the showing your work. Ya know the whole give a man a fish VS teaching a man :blah:

;)

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, thanks guys , its about as clear as mud to me but I get the idea. Never was good with math . 1 +1 always = 3 to me LOL

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So, did a little research to see if I could find out just how much foam is in a can of great stuff... of course they didn't make it easy for me by telling me how much of a cubic foot was in a 12 oz. can. Instead they said that 1 12 oz. can would produce a 3/8"-1/2" bead 250 long. I figured this as a round bead 7/16" in diameter and 250' long and came up with .176 cu. ft. per can... and 14.29 cu ft. divided by .176 = 81 cans to fill lees boat. @ $4 a can that's $324.

The price for (2) 8 cu. ft. kits of foam shipped from USComposites is about $160.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What's the time on trigger to shoot 80+ cans of GS?
An hour 20 +/-??

And how many friends do you need shaking 2 at a time to get all 0.176cu ft out of each can?
10 shaking them in round robin fashion? :frown-new:

That's a whole lotta shakin' going on............

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the time on trigger to shoot 80+ cans of GS?
An 1:20 +/-??

And how many friends do you need shaking 2 at a time to get all 0.176cu ft out of each can?
10 shaking them in round robin fashion? :frown-new:

That's a whole lotta shakin' going on............
Man I tell you. Gotta love this forum. Needed a laugh an here it is

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Amazing!!!!. I thought it was a simple question of curiousity when I asked. Never thought it would open a can of worms.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Amazing!!!!. I thought it was a simple question of curiousity when I asked. Never thought it would open a can of worms.

This is nothing! Ask a question about gasoline stabilizing additives or which gear lube oil you should use, and you'll set off of a true conflagration! ;-)

Jim