First post here - Looking to buy 2007 Sea Ray 205

Rclement6

Cadet
I have spent alot of time in these forums, but just now decided to make a post. I sold my 2005 SeaDoo RXT at the end of last season. Its time to move on to bigger and better things. I found a 2007 Sea Ray 205 on craigs list. It looks to be in pretty good condition. The asking price is $25,800, which I will obviously try to negotiate. It has a MerCruiser 5.0 220hp engine. The motor has 116 hours on it. The seller's post claims it will run 55mph with 2 people on board.

My questions are:
Does that sound like a fair price based on a satisfactory inspection?
Will that boat/motor size run 55mph?
Will this boat/motor set up pull up adult wakeboarders with other adults on board and get on plane quickly?
Also, any advice on hiring marine surveyors for boat/motor inspection and test drives in the winter months while the boat is currently winterized?

SeaRay1.jpg

THANKS

jestor68

Commander
Re: First post here - Looking to buy 2007 Sea Ray 205

That looks like a real nice boat. Should run about 51-53 mph, depending on how it's propped. It will have no trouble pulling wakeboarders; depending on how it's propped. If it's propped to run in the 50's, you may want to pick up a 4 blade prop one size(pitch) smaller for water sports. You'll lose a little top speed, but pull much better.

That could be a reasonable asking price, based on the options on the boat, and depending upon where you live. On a boat that new, I would just have a Mercruiser dealer/Mercruiser qualified tech check it out. He's not going to charge you anything close to a surveyor ( an hour's labor) to check it over.

A test drive may or not be practical this time of year, depending upon where you live. "Winterizing" it again is just a matter of draining the water from the engine/exhaust manifolds, and putting the drive down to make certain all the water drains out of the lower unit.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have myself looked at a few 205 Sports, I think it should be UNDER 25K, It's a 6 year old boat. Look for Comps on E-bay and other forsale areas.

The 5.0L 220 HP isnt offered anymore, in it's place is the MPI V6 at 220 HP and the 260HP v8. Still a very nice boat anyway you cut it.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a nice boat. Depending upon how the inspection goes I would start an offer at $23,000.00 and barter from there I agree with jestor68 on the speed. Maybe the seller is judging speed based on the speedometer and not gps. That boat will pull a wakeboard out of the water no problem and you will love the tower. It would pull even better with a four blade or stainless propeller. Call around in your area and find a surveyor or a reputable boat dealer to check it out. I don't know your location but here it is -8 degrees fahrenheit and the lakes are frozen so a test drive is out of the question.

Rclement6

Cadet

Thanks alot for all the the feedback. My only concern now is the difference between the 5.0 220hp and the 5.0 MPI 260hp. Is there that big of a difference between the two motors when talking about maintenance and reliability? I know the 260hp will have more power, but will it be that noticeable? I dont want to buy the boat with a 220hp and instantly regret not finding one with a 260hp.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I have spent alot of time in these forums, but just now decided to make a post. I sold my 2005 SeaDoo RXT at the end of last season. Its time to move on to bigger and better things. I found a 2007 Sea Ray 205 on craigs list. It looks to be in pretty good condition. The asking price is $25,800, which I will obviously try to negotiate. It has a MerCruiser 5.0 220hp engine. The motor has 116 hours on it. The seller's post claims it will run 55mph with 2 people on board.

My questions are:
Will this boat/motor set up pull up adult wakeboarders with other adults on board and get on plane quickly?
Also, any advice on hiring marine surveyors for boat/motor inspection and test drives in the winter months while the boat is currently winterized?

View attachment 179610

THANKS

First off, welcome to iBoats! Secondly if you go here you can get the real NADA book value of the boat:

2007 Sea Ray Boats 205 SPORT(**) Price, Used Value & Specs | NADAguides

You will want to have it surveyed by a competent marine surveyor as they go through the whole boat such as physical plant, electronics, hidden damage etc. Trust me, it will be the best few hundred bucks you ever spent if he finds a problem. The boat only weighs 3,000 lb so a V-8 220 hp is MORE than enough power for you. (will get you, a spotter and 2 skiers up on plane just fine!) Assuming the boat is propped correctly low to mid 50's sounds about right. You will want to run and compression test the motor before you buy it and depending on where you are a test drive is strongly recommended. It will not only give you a chance to see how the boat performs but will show you how well the motor does under load. Does it sputter, overheat or do other things it shouldn't etc. If you are buying it in a freezing climate you will have to winterize it after you run it so the engine block doesn't crack. Fairly easy to do yourself or have someone there to do it for you. The differences between the V-8 5.0L 220 hp you are looking at and the new V-6 220 shown here:

MerCruiser 4.3L | Mercury Marine

and the new V-8 260 hp. shown here:

MerCruiser 5.0L, 350 MAG & 377 MAG | Mercury Marine

is that the new V-6 is fuel injected and the old V-8 220 hp. has a carburetor. While the fuel injected models tend to be better on gas they are are also all computer controlled so if you like to tinker with the motor forget it. Except for the very basic things like changing spark plugs and oil changes every thing else has to go back to the dealer. Both however are very reliable. The new new 260 hp. is basically the engine you are looking at now except it has fuel injection. Adding 40 hp. might get you an extra 5mph but nothing drastic.

Ask if the owner has service records for the boat. Was the engine oil changed every 50 hours or at least once a season? Was the drive oil changed once a season? Was the drive serviced (water impeller changed and drive pressure tested) every two years? Plugs, Cap and Rotor changed every season? Spark plug wires changed at least once since he's had the boat? Was the boat used mainly in fresh or salt water? If salt water have the zincs been changed regularly? Engine flushed with fresh water after each use or two? It may seem like I'm being picky but you're going to spend 20+ thousand might as well get a cream puff than one that's been beat on and abused. IMHO.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Looks like a nice boat to me. It's likely that outdrive bellows haven't been changed since the boat was new. It's due. If it's a salt water boat, you should plan on replacing manifolds and risers either this year or next. They're also reaching the end of their service life.

I've purchased (through a broker) at this time of year and a survey and sea trial weren't possible due to temps where I live. I negotiated the deal contingent upon those 2 items being performed in the spring. I personally would not buy a $20K boat without them.

My .02

gtochris

Thanks alot for all the the feedback. My only concern now is the difference between the 5.0 220hp and the 5.0 MPI 260hp. Is there that big of a difference between the two motors when talking about maintenance and reliability? I know the 260hp will have more power, but will it be that noticeable? I dont want to buy the boat with a 220hp and instantly regret not finding one with a 260hp.

I dont think wakeboarding requires maximum thrust, I have pulled someone over 200lbs behind my 135hp boat no problem, didnt have to ever floor it either), I think of all the watersports, Wakeboarding requires the least amount of HP.

The V6 block is a little lighter, the New Carbs dont require pumping the throttle (like my older boat), I think overall the MPI (Fuel injected) engines are better on gas.

drrpm

What can be seen in the picture looks good. That is a pretty stiff price, I'd aim for the 20K ballpark. Fuel injection is superior to carbs in many ways from power and efficiency to reliability but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker. That boat will have more than enough muscle to do what you want, though I doubt it would hit 55 unless you were going downstream and with the wind.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm sure this is a nice boat, but I was checking with one of the Sea Ray dealers and I'm sure for that price you can get a brand new 185 2012 leftover. And before you poo-poo that as too small, it's 19'8". I would take a brand new 2012 boat over a 1' larger used 2007 boat any day, but that's me. A foot can make a big difference, if I was a foot taller, I may be playing for the Lakers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What can be seen in the picture looks good. That is a pretty stiff price, I'd aim for the 20K ballpark.
I agree, price seems very high to me. I would search boattrader.com nationally and contact other sellers to see if their boats sold and how much they sold for.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Rclement6,

To your question regarding the difference between the 220 hp V8 and the 260 hp V8, when pulling a skier or wakeboard, I have not noticed the difference personally. My friend has the 220 and I have the 260. I have been on the wakeboard behind both and cannot tell the difference. The tower will make it much easier to get out of the water on a wakeboard, kneeboard, skies, etc. and you will be able to get good air with it as well.

tpenfield

Staff member

The asking price is $25,800, which I will obviously try to negotiate. It has a MerCruiser 5.0 220hp engine. The motor has 116 hours on it. The seller's post claims it will run 55mph with 2 people on board.

My questions are:

THANKS

Welcome to iboats . . . regarding your questions . . .

Does that sound like a fair price based on a satisfactory inspection? NO . . . NADA puts it at about $20K, which may actually be high. $18-19K is better

Will that boat/motor size run 55mph? Maybe, does it matter? That is probably too fast anyway.

Will this boat/motor set up pull up adult wakeboarders with other adults on board and get on plane quickly? Yes, but maybe not with a full house of passengers. For that you'll need a bigger boat.

Also, any advice on hiring marine surveyors for boat/motor inspection and test drives in the winter months while the boat is currently winterized? Check SAMS and NAMS for certified marine surveyors in your area. If the water is not frozen . . . go for a sea trial with the surveyor. Otherwise, make the deal contingent on a sea trial when weather permits. The boat will have to be re-winterized after the sea trial on your dime.

Given that the boat is fairly new, you are probably in good shape.

Rclement6

Cadet

Thanks again for all the feedback! I called the seller to let him know I plan to go take a look at the boat the second week of February. He told me that he was taking it to "the biggest boat dealer in the area" tomorrow to have them look over the whole boat and motor to have it inspected. He said he will get engine diagnostics and everything printed out for any potential buyers to look over. He said this will save the potential buyers time from having to have it inspected themselves. My question is, does this sound normal and he is just trying to speed up the selling process? Or, can he be trying to cover something up by not having each potential buyer conduct their own mechanic inspection/survey?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks again for all the feedback! I called the seller to let him know I plan to go take a look at the boat the second week of February. He told me that he was taking it to "the biggest boat dealer in the area" tomorrow to have them look over the whole boat and motor to have it inspected. He said he will get engine diagnostics and everything printed out for any potential buyers to look over. He said this will save the potential buyers time from having to have it inspected themselves. My question is, does this sound normal and he is just trying to speed up the selling process? Or, can he be trying to cover something up by not having each potential buyer conduct their own mechanic inspection/survey?

It depends on the person selling and whether he is honest or not or if the people checking the boat over are even capable of assessing it. The only way you'll know for sure if ANY of the facts or numbers he presents are truthful or accurate is to pay for a marine survey yourself. That way the surveyor is working for you and looking out only for your interests. Otherwise you don't know where his numbers came from. Again, you're potentially spending $20,000 on a boat. I really think you're crazy if you don't have a competent certified marine surveyor (working only for you) go over the boat with a fine tooth comb as there are many many many things that lurk below the surface that you can't see. For the $200-300 (a boat that size maybe less) it may cost, you'll be able to make a fully informed decision. If the owner doesn't want you to have your own surveyor look the boat over than YES HE IS HIDING SOMETHING FROM YOU. RUN, DON'T WALK, BUT RUN FROM THE BOAT. I speak from many years of experience and seeing a number of friends get burned because they never had their boats surveyed before they bought them and then ended up spending THOUSANDS on engine, electrical and or structural repairs. It's up to you... It's very nice that he wants to save you all this time of having your own inspection done but there's only one way you're ever going to know for SURE whether this boat is a lemon a money pit or a great deal and that is to have your own survey done. Best of luck in your decision and let us know what you decide!

tpenfield

Staff member

Occaissionally, you will get a seller who feels compelled to have the boat surveyed or inspected themselves. I had a friend of mine suggest that I get one of my boats surveyed before offering it for sale - I didn't.

As a buyer, it would be fairly meaningless, to Tazrig's points. You really cannot trust those inspections, particularly from a dealer (they just are not surveyors). The surveyor that you hire should be able to perform those inspections, plus a lot more.

If you did not do so already, you might want to inquire as to why the seller felt the need to bring the boat in for inspections. It could be that other potential buyers were finding issues with the boat and moving on, and he felt compelled to flush those issues out. Who knows :noidea:

Anyway, has no real meaning, gracefully accept any information and documentation offered, but still consider it as needing to be done again as part of your due diligence.