Chrysler Mods

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this can be done but need to find someone in OZ thats done it, I have a 70HP Chrysler on my Nautiglass 16footer, while at the moment its running fine I just know after owning many Chryslers that that damn power pack is gonna pack its daks and flake out usually when I dont want it too as others have done, I believe this system can be replaced with a coil and condensor and a change of plugs to auto type, anyone done it? To float another idea I wonder if a Black Box from a Valiant car would work in place of the power pack, these may be old motors but they go well easy to work on and I have a real soft spot for them so I wont be updating while I can keep it going.

bloodygazza

Cadet
Re: Chrysler Mods

It's that sense of deja vu, all over again.

'73 70hp in the family since new. Ignition unit died in '75. As the dizzy was a points unit he simply replaced the module with a coil, ballast resistor and conventional plugs. This ran faultlessly until I stopped using the base unleaded when Ethanol started to creep in to it. I found the points system just didn't have enough grunt to perform on 95 or 98 and the plugs fouled quite quickly.

I went back to the module system and converted to a hall-effect dizzy too. All a simple swap. But I do carry the points dizzy, coil and parts with me on board "just in case" I need them on the water one day. I can link'n'sync well enough on the water to get me home. Haven't needed to in the 4 years since I did the change, though.

However, I have since bought half a dozen motors from ebay for parts and play toys, so I carry a module with me now too. For the cost of a whole motors for parts versus a module from the wreckers, it's worth it. If you're space-challenged, strip the spares motor down and take the rest to Simms for the scrap value.

Valiant car modules aren't viable, nor worth the effort if they were. (Strangely, I own a Valiant too. It's not consciously a Chrysler thing, I think) I am actually trying one of these now:
High Energy Ignition Kit - Jaycar Electronics
With a Bosch HEC715 coil, I get about 40kV output which is getting into the range to properly fire 98 petrol on the surface gap plugs.

And incidentally, I find the Shell 98 to be by far the smoothest of all, testing tanks of Shell, BP, Caltex and Mobil back-to-back. 95's OK, but 98 is smoother, especially at idle and leaves the plugs cleaner. Some say it's money wasted but apples for apples I personally can reconcile the extra cost in smoothness, clean plugs and fuel system and although it's just an opinion, I reckon I use less of it too. Not that these motors can ever be considered economical!

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chrysler Mods

G'day mate...haven't done it myself but have thought about it...good hull got one myself,
anyway, have a squiz at this..if it works
1969 Chrysler 75 HP Outboard Ignition Coversion - SmokStak
probably other threads here about it
dunno about finding something from a Valiant cheap these days...too many collectors chasing them now

Thanks matey, I do like the Nautiglass hulls, take a beating and do the job, I have a Chrysler Ignition Box Ill get a diagram pf its workings and compare to the Chrysler Marine set up, Ive had Chryslers for many years going back to the late 70s my dad had a Haines V16R with a 135 HP Chrysler in Darwin, man did that thing boogy, I love these motors if I find a rebuildable 135 or 140 Ill slap one on it, you can play around with them to make em go better, my motors about a 1978 model with MagnaPower, wonder if thats where they stooged the name for the Magna car lol, Ill work on this ignition biz and come up with something