Thanks maxz695

b9303

Seaman Apprentice
Had previously posted thread 1995 6 cyl. 90 hp. Mercury outboard not started for years Found out Maxz695 and i were in the same city. He had replied to several of my posts about troubleshooting, tests,common problems, etc. Swapped phone #s, he came over to the boat about 1:15 and started tracing & testing. After a short time he had fire to plugs, hooked up gas & muffs, got puffs of smoke & it wanted to go but little gas thru carbs.Have to get kits with floats, clean and rebuild 3 carbs. He was done and gone before 2:30! No spark problem was traced to faulty ignition switch and or man overboard switch with worn key.Both to be replaced. THANKS for your time and trouble, you really know what you're doing !

M

Maxz695

Re: Thanks maxz695

Very much appreciated. If i can find the over board kill switch keys I have. I will through them on the boat next time i,m in the area. I think I still have them just have to find them. Good luck with the carbs I,m sure she, gonna run fine after that. As atated, Change the old impellor and LU oil as it (The impellor) is formed after sittting for so long. It would be a good thing to do after getting the rest done. Have a great night and Nice Motor!!! Treat her good:plane:

M

Maxz695

View attachment 179592OK JUst found them there here on my desk with the red lanyard and clip. I,ll put them in the van so I,ll have them for you. There is a thick one and a thin one. I believe the thick one should work great. Thank the timing light as an indicator for when we dindn,t and then after unplugging the main harness to find we did have spark, and then could focus on where the issues lied. PS for the readers. It would be great to have you post a photo of the old key in the switch to let others know just becuase the key clip is there doesn,t mean it is any good. Most people leave them in and the plastic spreads in time esspecially in the hot summer days here in florida. The result is a ground to kill the spark. So because the key is there it gets overlooked.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

This just again proves how it can be very helpful for new members to fill out their profile with location, often times another member does live nearby and most all of us are more than willing to help teach another boater many of the lessons we have learned.

Congrates Max, for being there and lending a hand.

M

Maxz695

Charely yea there are still good people willing to give something in no expectation of recieveing anything except a person that really appreciated the help I was able to give. It,s not about the money or the money he could have paid to have a PRO tell him he needed a stator 2 switchboxes and 3 new carbs. only for him to say man keep it. Waht a disaster that could turn out to be! JMO. There was not one red cent needed nor paid for this service that was freely given for my help which may not always be correct and none was expected. I made a freind Thats golden

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW What a pleasant story to read..:) Its threads like this that restores my faith in humanity.....Well done Max, I take my hat of to you Sir, what a nice chap. Shame there isn't more people like you in this world......:joyous:

M

Maxz695

Original thread Please read front to end. Any information or reply given to a post on this forum is dependant on the information given and the basic knowledge of the engine in question ( I KNOW :blah: I tend to ramble on sometimes LOL Too much information) Most important is the specific manual for your engine. Any advise from anyone may be helpfull or hurtfull. It is the posters responsibility to post as much information they can about the engine SN HP Type etc etc to excpect to get the best possible educated response or un educated guess as to the possible solution to the problem. Nobody I see here wants to give someone the wrong imfomation to cause harm or damage to a fellow boaters property. Mistakes are made, and for the most part others are there to help correct any misinformation. Information is what you are searching for and must take all steps to insure that the information given and you intend to use is correct. A Newbie is the one person who must be most looked out for as they may take every word as gospel. I do this for me and do the best I can knowing good things come to those who do for others if they can, and when they can. So please get as much information from as many sources as possible before taking action esspecially in matters of extreem cost including taking it to a shop. Most times such as this it is a simple little thing that makes it seem simply hopeless. Original post http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-ma...ercury-outboard-not-started-years-588998.html

M

Maxz695

Sorry if i hit the wrong response that last post should have been a reply not to your post but to the entierty of the thread. It took me 6 hr,s to make dinner bit tierd. Thanks for the compliment scincerely appreciated.

M

Maxz695

Overboard keys just dropped off clipped to the rail door. Good luck.

b9303

Seaman Apprentice

Got them Maxz, thanks again. Went to Pro Marine and picked up the carb kits and a new ignition switch. Probably get started thurs. pm. Keep you posted.