Pre-survey visual inspection questions - lotta pics

S8861

Seaman Apprentice
As I mentioned in a previous thread I'm looking at a used boat and decided to thoroughly check it out prior to the survey to make sure I didn't miss anything simple.

Boat is a 06 stingray bowrider and after spending about 2 hours on it alone and checking every inch in and out, here's what I found. I have about 200+ photos, if anyone wants to see a particular view.

Walked every inch of the deck and even floor lockers, head, 'motor room', storage areas and swim platform. No soft spots, or any cracks. All electronics work (radio, speakers, bilge pumps, depth finder, trim tabs/indicator, drive trim, instruments, cabin lights, nav lights, pressure pump, bilge pump, etc). 193 hours on the motor. The things I found wrong a few.

Missing carpets, Needs bottom paint, needs new anodes, dime size piece of skeg missing (expected items)

Small oil spill in motor area, mildew from wet items being thrown into closed lockers, foggy instruments, led out on the water pressure switch.

Pictures of the 'offending items' are as follows. I'd like your advice on how big of a deal you think these are.

The below appeared to be new oil and I couldn't find the source on any of the hoses by feeling around anything I could reach. I put my foot in it when standing and felt the oil with my fingers and it felt like new oil, so I'm assuming it's a spill when filling the but wanted the forum's advice.

File0157.JPG

Also, looking at the fiberglass above the tube on the floor, the fiberglass bulkhead that's parallel to the transom gets darker as you go lower, but felt solid when tapped. Same sound above and below. What might account for the color change. Just dirt/grime?

File0132.JPG

More motor photos here--> https://picasaweb.google.com/shots2006/Motor?authkey=Gv1sRgCP3hjYiSv4CNgwE#

Below is an example of the mildew/mold.. This example was from under a cup holder.. The loose tube is from the cupholder and was reattached.

File0215.JPG

Here's the switch light/led (green light for water pressure/pump top right) that appears to be out. Are these easy to replace?

File0382.JPG

The foggy instruments. The storage in front of the helm had wet lifejackets, which I suspect caused the moisture. Does this just need a good drying out or is this a bad sign?

File0281.JPG

Example of the mildew. Several closed compartments had wet life jackets, fenders and ropes that I suspect caused this. What do you think, minor or major issue?

File0231.JPG

What do you guys think? Are these minor issues and should I continue with the professional survery or are any of these deal breakers that suggest I shouldn't waste my time money and look for the next boat?

I'm new to boating and I'm assuming these are common and minor items but wanted a second opinion.

Some photos of the boat in the next post...

Attachments

• File0132.jpg
    File0132.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
  • File0132.JPG
    File0132.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 0

S8861

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pre-survey visual inspection questions - lotta pics

The cockpit...

File0374.JPG

Helm

File0261.JPG

File0372.JPG

File0346.JPG

File0362.JPG

Motor with top cover off...

File0165.JPG

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

Motor mount..

File0199.JPG

details

File0193.JPG

Outdrive -- what do you think of the white 'patina' Seemed to come off clean with a wipe with a somewhat glossy paint underneath. A small piece was missing from the bottom of the skeg, but nothing major.

File0046.JPG

Prop

File0043.JPG

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

oudside hull numbers whited out in case any of the boat owners don't like that.

File0436.JPG

File0025%2520web.jpg

Stingray%2520057%2520web.jpg

one of the hull shots..

File0442.JPG

Attachments

• File0025 web.jpg
    File0025 web.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Stingray 057 web.jpg
    Stingray 057 web.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no expert, but that thing looks freakin' fantastic for a used boat. I wonder if there is a boat out there that doesn't have a little mildew somewhere or another. Its just the nature of putting wet things in dark places.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

For a 7+ year old boat, that looks EXTREMELY well kept! Looks like it also has very few hours on it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think you're over-thinking a 6 year old boat. There should be no hull condition issues to go look for unless there is evidence of extreme neglect or a sunk boat. mechanics won't be an issue unless, again, extreme neglect.

Or if it was a substandard brand.

You called this "pre survey." I can't see how a survey could add anything; save your money but get a marine mechanic to look over the motor.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Pay The 3-400 dollars for a professional marine survery. Other than that nice boat on the surface...it's what you cant see that is of concern and there are many area's that you cannot see.

hottoddie

Seaman Apprentice

You don't say where you are located, fresh or salt water use, or if the boat is going to be used in open or inshore waters. Judging from the pics the boat has been run in salt water and kept in a slip. Raw water cooled motors run in salt water require frequent flushing to reduce internal corrosion. I myself would never consider buying a boat run in salt water that did not have fresh water cooling. Also if you are going to run the boat out in open water be aware that bow riders are prone to "stuffing" the bow when in rough water or crossing the wake of large boats. The boat appears to be in very good shape and if you plan on lake usage I would not be afraid if it after having a mechanic check it out and make ot subject to successful sea trial.

M

Maxz695

Start with the oil. Timing case cover seal or the oil pan gasket. The thing is (Looks to be a mercruiser Chevy engine). If you can get the seal out after removing the damper without having to undo the cover great and add a new seal. If you have to remove the timing gear cover it has a 1 piece oil pan gasket and super hard to get the original gasket to go into the cover without A) undoing the oil pan engine lifting it 1 inch is required B) cutting the original gasket and using the old style piece gasket that is hard to get to seal. Make the best choice and take any measure nessecary to remove just the damper seal and put a new one in. Otherwise your gonna be adding oil and the bilge will keep collecting it and your gonna keep cleaning it up. Not environmentally freindly when the bilge pump pumps the contaminated water out of the bilge. Mildew is not a big deal little peroxide and water (Test on a small area. or good cleaner will do. Like bleach peroxide kills mold. That is what you want to cleean them wet areas with as well with a very good clean water rinse.

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for the help. Homecookin' I think you're right.. I've got the '1st boat jitters' and this forum has been great.

hottoddie, its been in salt but will be used on freshwater here on out

Maxz695, it's indeed a mercruiser/chevy 350 mag and hope it's not the pan... getting that oil pan off without much bottom clearance looks like a PITA from this diagram.. Is the timing case cover part 18 in the 2nd diagram?

10025.jpg
9806.jpg

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

oops... duplicate post

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pay The 3-400 dollars for a professional marine survery. Other than that nice boat on the surface...it's what you cant see that is of concern and there are many area's that you cannot see.

+2 on that. Not sure what they are asking but since this is your first boat and though you've done an impressive job, I would try and get a hull guy there to check it out while it's up on blocks and easy to get to.

If that does come out ok, is the boat "winterized" where you can't get a mechanical survey done right now?

I would think you'd wipe up that oil then once it's been run, see what-if-anything comes back.

Obviously the interior is immaculate and I would not worry about the mildew and bottom paint items.

Mark

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could that be some RV coolant? Looks pinkish and the proximity to the water distribution housing drain suggests some may have been drained during winterizing. Also, I think I see pink crystals on the drain petcock. Coolant is slick to the touch like oil.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having been trained in auto repair years ago there's 2 ways to check on engine condition without paying a bunch of money to run compression tests and get all technical. The easiest way is to pull the plugs, they can tell a lot about an engine. Also, pull an oil sample and send it to a lab like Blackstone Labs. It can tell if the engine hasn't been maintained or abused.

As for the mold, they sell kits where you swab the area to see if the issue is just ordinary mildew or some bad mold that may make you sick. Not saying don't buy the boat, but you can make the seller mitigate the mold condition as part of the terms of sale.

As for that spot of oily substance, seems weird that it's ahead of the pulley, what is ahead of the pulleys that can leak anything. You can use an inspection mirror to check around the heads and such for oil leakage but to be honest, expensive well maintained cars will almost always have some seapage and that's normal, frankly if it's not there, the engine was cleaned and I love a dirty engine when buying a car/boat/motorcycle. For what it's worth, that engine was detailed, 6 year old hoses don't shine like that naturally. Trust me, I've had classic cars that I've shown, I know how to make rubber bits look shiny, haha. Also look at the pulley belt when it goes against an idler pulley (smooth one), see if the belt is starting to show cracks. Not a deal breaker but it's a good time to assess all the work you'll need to do.

As for instrument lighting, tricky one there. Older cars/boats used bulbs, maybe not easy to find but you can always get them. Newer buttons use surface mount LED's that are not replaceable, in that case, you may need to find out from the boat manufacturer if they still stock them. Moisture in the instrument bezzles is a tough one, how did they get in, they should be sealed from water. You may have to take the instrument cluster out and dry out manually and then use some silicone to make sure it's watertight before they go back in. I had a 30 year old boat with instruments on the flying bridge that were always exposed to weather and waves at times and mine were dry.

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

Todd,

You might be on the money. There was pink splatter in the sink as well so the antifreeze used to winterize it was indeed pink. Only got to touch a film on the bottom of my shoe, as it was too tight for me to squat down and too deep to reach from the deck, but it was indeed slick and did feel thinner than oil. I assumed there was water on the bottom of my shoe, but what you suggest makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

S8861

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks buellwinkle,

The marina where it's currently stored at did mention that the current owner had a local marine mechanic, whom they said to be reputable, take care of his motor like a fanatic. Wiping it down to see if anything comes back at sea trial is a great idea.

Thanks for the info on the instruments. That's the item that bugged me the most. There was a bag with several wet wet life vests in the storage area under the helm and it's been stored with that door closed in a warm warehouse since before hurricane sandy. I'm assuming the moisture buildup in that compartment traveled into the gages. If they're sealed gages, then I'm not sure why they got fogged. Searching the forums came up with several others who've experienced the same thing. Wonder if the lower priced boats also have less substantial gages.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If a good mechanic knows the boat, he's the guy to talk to. Whether informally, or pay for his opinion, is a judgment call. Me, if he said it's in good shape, that's all I'd do. If you were buying a 5 year old car I doubt you'd be pulling oil pans and all that.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The boat looks nice but do a compression test and sea trial FIRST.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The boat tells a bunch about the owner too, and this one appears to reflect well. I never buy anything new because I'm cheap, that requires sizing up the owners house, his/her family, the vehicles, how he manages all of that stuff. Is the lawn cut? clean vehicles, prompt on meeting times, all that gives you a picture of who was using your boat for what 183 hours you said? That really is nothing in the life of a boat, and that one seems to pass the detailed inspection you have already given. I agree with others about doing a sea test and compression check too, beyond that, I think it just depend's how much you need to do, to fell good about your buy. The sea test is as much about how well the boat rides, but more important, how much YOU like how well it performs. After all you will be using it, and you will need to like how it performs. That baby has white everywhere, so to keep it that way, you better plan on keeping her covered and stored well. Love the no carpet pictures or maybe you have snap in, but either way, clean up's will be easy. Have fun!