water in cylinders

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
E115TRLCTE 1983 evinrude 115 flat back

after purchasing a used fresh water powerhead with 125 PSI on all cylinders and in extremely clean looking condition this have gone bad.

small water drop on # 4 spark plug. pulled head and both cylinders heads have the washed look.
pulled other head and found # 1 to have a broken inner ring.!!!

all cylinders have nice hatch marks and no scooring even #1.

they all have some rust residue in the cylinder walls, I pulled the exhaust cover plates and the top portion which has the molded pieces sticking out are also washed and wet.

so what to do now....

1st is the exhaust gasket where im geting a leak? can the weater get into all the cylinders?

maybe just a quick hone and a new piston will fix her up?

I was hoping to avoid all of this and rolled the dice on a used power head which looked and tested well but I would up with the nsake eyes!

thanks guys

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water in cylinders

New cover gaskets and new head gaskets for sure however, the compression is very good at 125# so I'm tempted to suggest you forget the cracked ring and run it like it is. If the cylinder walls appear good and the compression numbers are the same, I think I'd run it like that but, that's just me.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the block is apart and i plan on replacing the one piston and new rings, new top and bottom crank seals.

the other 3 cylinders look good decent hatch markings but not perfect, no scoring at all and they do produce 120-125 psi on compression testing so the question is should I perform a complete hone of all 4 with new rings or just the one that obviously needs new rings?

what grit should i use to hone the cylinder? 180 240.....
thanks

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know it was already apart. In that case a hone job and rings on all cylinders. It's not terribly expensive and now is the best time to do it. I would suggest just a light (and quick) hone to remove the rust and glaze.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

should I perform a complete hone of all 4 with new rings or just the one that obviously needs new rings?
Always hone when replacing rings and use a rigid hone if possible with 220 grit, if not a ball hone will suffice at 180 grit.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Usually exhaust cover gaskets will cure water leaks into the exhaust chest. You might want to do a simple water test on the inner cover-to check for casting porosity. I've seen holes in these inner covers-resulting in water leaks. Lay it flat and drip water on the cover till it is covered with a thin layer of water. See if any water leaks through the casting. Or, you can shine a light behind the cover and check porosity by looking for light shining through the casting. Be sure to retorque the exhaust cover bolts (similar to re-torquing the head bolts) after the engine goes through it's first 2-3 heat/cool cycles.

kman61

Cadet

Well I'll be interested in what you find for the culprit. I have the same issue on a '96 88 SPL that I over temped. Replaced the starboard head gasket (I get water in the starboard side), exhaust cover gaskets, powerhead base gasket, all after checking for warpage, etc. with machinist straight edge, still leaking. Now she's coming apart because I noticed a section of piston missing between the rings on #3 when I did all the previous work so wanted to rebuild this winter anyway. Still nothing obvious but if I can’t find something probably won't be using that block.