Boat restoration 1971 winner minikai

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I've been lurking and used info I learned from this site to purchase my boat and get me this far and hopefully all the way to a successful restore! I have no experience with boat restoration - but am happy to learn and enjoy renovations in general as I have built and restored many houses.
I live Hamilton Ontario,Canada - 5 minutes from a boat launch to Lake Ontario!
I got the boat, trailer and 65 hp merc for a song- bought it on boxing day- best late christmas present ever!
As soon as I got it I put it in my shop, the trailer didnt fit so strapped and lifted it up, pulled out trailer and put it on big chunks of foam.

- then i cut off back (risky- maybe not the best idea)instead of popping top off
-removed rotten transom
-removed all electrical, steering
-cut/drilled sections of floor out to remove palstic bottles (approx 25% were filled or partially filled with water)
-removed some rot from floor
-vacumed cavities and everything and put in space heaters directly shooting into holes on low heat, brought uninsulated shop up to 10 c / 50 F

so now plan is to:

-dry it out completely- could take weeks right? its already a lot lighter after removing approx 4 gallons of water in plastic floaters
-rebuild transom, and finish back floor 2 or 3 layers of marine grade ply- epoxied together and glassed
-clean cavities with 202, reapair stringers, brush in a little epoxy (good idea?)

-pour in 2 part foam - 2 or 4 or 6 lb? i've read 2lb closed cell will absorb water if allowed to and water vapour- possible decreasing its life span, 4lb is much much better in terms of absorbing water, more rigid- but more $$- is it worth it? (thinking I need 4 gallons?) at 80 degrees

-let it cure, repair holes- put coat epoxy(with west system- good choice?) on and re-glass pretty much complete inside- adding strength to bare side walls- good idea?

-sand,prime,sand,paint and paint - inside, floor and topside gray(thinking it won't get as hot, and reflect too much sun) and outside white - with brightside (since boat will be trailered- maybe sit in water once and awhile for a week or two) good idea?

thanks in advance for advice, cheers!

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat restoration 1971 winner minikai

No pictures so it doesn't exist :fish: Don't have much advice to offer except a good luck!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Keep all of your posts in one thread W71, it makes it easier for you to keep track of the information given to you, instead of having to sift through different threads to find who said what.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

yes i see your point

just trying to use auto size in settings- cant find it

its apain to uploaad to photobucket the back to iboats- slow and i dont know how to do a bunch or a few at a time

working on it
thanks

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

i thought if i went to boat restoration - or put it in my title i would get more views and therefore more advice

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

i thought if i went to boat restoration - or put it in my title i would get more views and therefore more advice

Your other thread is here in the restoration forum, at the top of the page because I just replied to it.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

b17.jpg

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

ok completely new to forums also! putting way too much energy into getting these pics up. i wish it was click and drag..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Pics are easy when you get used to it.

To upload multiple pics to Photobucket... click upload... then click on browse files... a window will appear with your photo files... hold down the CTRL key and highlight all the pics you want to upload... then click upload.

To post multiple pics to iboats... open one window with iboats in it... open another window with Photobucket in it... then you can switch back and forth from Photobucket and iboats copying and pasting pics. It really is easy when you get the hang of it.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for the 2 window open advice

boatinshop2.jpg

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

about half the floats

floatsintruck.jpg

hopefully holes are ok for inserting whatever floation- 4lb 2 part foam?
holesindeck.jpg