Carpfisher 70HP pain in the butt.....

Carpfisher

Seaman Apprentice
So I put a new carb from Marine Engines .com on the 92 70HP that I have. You may remember my last, dead hole at idle post. Well, the new carb seemed to do it. I put in the water, put in gear, no stall. Yay !! motored out of the harbor at idle and just above idle. Something that it would not do before. Went to get on it leaving the harbor and blah...falls on it's face and died. Immediate restart, no problem. This happened about 10 times as I milked it back to the dock. (cuz' I kept trying). All of a sudden vrooom. There she goes on the top end. It was like something was clogged and opened up. Ended up going out for about 3 hours, staying right around the harbor. I have a 4 stroke, 6HP, kicker, oars and all safety equip., and vessel assist. So I wasn't to worried about getting stuck, mainly I wanted to run some good gas thru her. She ran great and smooth, top and bottom end. Shut off a couple times, again 0 problems as far as power/stalling goes.

End of story--noooooo.

So next day, put in water... crap she's taking on water....got a leak that I need to find. Did notice excess water in hull but thought it was from the water splashing over the transom when I was going fast and the prop wash was hitting the improperly placed bait tank pickup and splashing over-NOT...in the mean time, gave it the more throttle test and blah, fell on it's face and died... didn't have time to try 10 times and see if it clears out again, was worried about the leak.

Any off the cuff ideas, I heard fuel bulb- will test and replace today, other known problem-not getting 12v to the enrichment solenoid, need to turn it manually to start and I see it leaking fuel. Only when manually turned. Doesn't leak when running. Will address but wondering what is was the cause of the dying when throttling up. Like I said, one it got going, it went- no problems. Tank is vented properly.

Thanks for any help and guidance-Carpfisher

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carpfisher 70HP pain in the butt.....

Make sure u have know fuel leaks fix them. Make sure the red knob on the primer is even with the primer body. If spark and everything else is good on your motor including the fuel pump then your problem is the boat is getting or to heavy for your motor to push that's why it blogs down when u give it throttle. Maybe cause of water getting in boat. If u take the lid off the motor while its running in forward gear the fastest it will go before blogging down and push the throttle about 4 times it will get on plain every single time. If that happens it means u have the boat is to heavy for motor it u have too much weight in your boat.

Carpfisher

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice "all".
I ran my symptoms by a couple local "experts" also., got the same ole' fuel pump, primer ball stuff. Never would have considered my boat was to heavy.LOL.

When I asked my most shade tree buddy-backyard all the way, he instantly said-stuck timing advance (under the flywheel)
Went home that night and sure enough-sticking !!! Pulled off the plastic linkage and yes, it's sticky.
Why I ask, did it wake up ?.... The engine got hot enough to heat the solidified brown waxy grease and let it move. Overnight in the 37 degree weather it got hard again. He may be a hack, but what the heck, best, most logical advice I've had yet !!

I'll pull the flywheel this weekend and sink my teeth in to it. Will let you know that it's a confirmed fix by next weekend. Got 3 young boys and lots of other oars in the water.

Carpfisher

Seaman Apprentice

CONFIRMED FIX. Ran great for three hours.Even started right up without the primer. Now on to more little details....like catching fish !!!