Well guys, found motor for my Starcraft tinny.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
P1201543_zps5aa3ae1d.jpg

P1201542_zps33b87932.jpg

P1201541_zps1de2aa86.jpg

P1201540_zps2da07de5.jpg

P1201539_zpsccdfc56f.jpg

P1201535_zpse02c4283.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Welp guys, found motor for my Starcraft tinny.

Oh yea, and it came with a boat!! Same models as mine, an this is the stock engine.
P1201538_zps40b23bc7.jpg

P1201537_zps84a4a20a.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Looks like quite a find. I guess the price was right.

Mark

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Looks like quite a find. I guess the price was right.

Mark

Thanks Tex. Yea I searched and searched, drove all over VA looking at stuff. I ended up getting this rig, with spare tire, 3 6 gallon gas tanks, new deep cycle battery, bimini top, and all accessories for $2300. Honestly I would have paid $2000 for the motor alone seeing what I have seen being offered for $1000-$1500 on craigslist. I am taking the ladder, 2 tanks, battery, and motor and hooking my good friend up with the boat and trailer for $1100. Just cause he's my bud.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

A pair of alum boats and a nice Evinrude? Cool!!:afro:

sutor623

Rear Admiral

A pair of alum boats and a nice Evinrude? Cool!!:afro:

Thanks! If I didn't have the floors and transom out of my Craft I would just keep the new one and sell the one that has no motor. But, I am currently redoing the floors, transom, carpet, paint and have already vinyled the console, custom made front seats, and carpeted the rails. Plus I am not a fan of the brown carpet...... Anyways, motor checked out with the highest and most consistent compression numbers that I have seen on any motor I have checked in the past few years. 140 140 140 And the charging system gave me the most consistent readings on my multimeter with the motor running.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Looks nice--is it a mid-80's 70 HP? Looks a lot like mine. It's one of the best motors.

The PTT looks like it's in good shape, too, which is good b/c they are hard to replace, economically speaking.

I did something similar when I needed to replace my 70; I bought it on a boat/trailer and it came with a whole yard sale of extra equipment!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Looks nice--is it a mid-80's 70 HP? Looks a lot like mine. It's one of the best motors.

The PTT looks like it's in good shape, too, which is good b/c they are hard to replace, economically speaking.

I did something similar when I needed to replace my 70; I bought it on a boat/trailer and it came with a whole yard sale of extra equipment!

Cool man! The motor is a 1984 75hp. I have noticed that when the motors come with "baggage" the price is usually better. I feel like my friend and I made out like bandits on this one!! TnT works very well! I do NOT want to have to rebuild any of the TnT cylinders any time soon! He threw in a brand new spare prop also :eek:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I notice that the tell-tale hose comes out of the bottom of the block. On mine, they blocked that off and put a new tell-tale fitting toward the top of the motor; had something to do with the circulation.

I can't say whether you ought to convert yours to a top fitting or not.

The reason I looked for it on yours is that without my knowing, the lower fitting's plug (a rubber cap over the fitting) failed, so I drove around bathing the interior of the motor with seawater. Something to watch out for!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

the lower fitting's plug (a rubber cap over the fitting) failed, so I drove around bathing the interior of the motor with seawater.

Aww man, that sucks! I bet you were very disappointed. When you get a chance would you mind posting a picture of the new location of the tell-tale? I am just curious. I wonder when they switched that over.....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I won't be able to post any pics but I recall it was up at the top of the same plate the lower one is on. I recall from previous posts some discussion about why they moved it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I remember it was an older Evinrude service bulletin. Maybe you could ask in the Johnson/Evinrude forum, sutor. I recall reading about it last Summer or early Fall.

BTW - Nice find, buddy.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

BTW - Nice find, buddy.

Thanks bro! I am siked about it. Believe it or not, it only took about 2 weeks of scouting out on CL. But, since I look at multiple cities of CL every single day, and had even called and visited marinas looking for motors, I was sure this was the way to go financially speaking. I should have about $1200 into the motor once my buddy gives me the cash for the boat and trailer. Which is incredible, because 3 weeks ago I sold my '67 Merc 650 for $700. But it ran better than every other motor I had seen besides this one.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

P.S. the only annoying thing about the old Merc that I had was how difficult it was to get to the carbs when they needed servicing. I love the setup of these OMC's. It is crazy how much more user friendly these old 2 strokes were in the mid eighties compared to the late sixties. And personally I like the ignition coil setup much better than the distributor setup that the Merc had. Plus the 650 was a gas hog. I think it just had lots of blow-by.

64osby

Admiral

What a great score, and you get your buddy hooked up with a nice Starcraft.

Double score.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

What a great score, and you get your buddy hooked up with a nice Starcraft.

Double score.

Yea man we can both make out well. The boat is all original and in beautiful shape. Ill have to get some better pics of it. If I posted it for $1700 in the middle of winter it would sell for $1500 easily around these parts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Very nice looking engine, very clean for the year. Any guess as to how many hours it might have on it? To me it just looks like a very low hour unit.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Very nice looking engine, very clean for the year. Any guess as to how many hours it might have on it? To me it just looks like a very low hour unit.

Thanks! Well I am the 3rd owner. 2nd owner had it for 4 years and barely used it on Claytor Lake, which is not very large. Original owner kept it on a covered lift slip, so lord know how many hours he put on it. But it is a freshwater only motor, and will stay that way. It has 140 140 140 as far as compression, so that tells me that it probably has under 250 hours, but just guessing here.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I understand it's hard to get a handle on hours but in your case at least you have some history to go by. I'd bet your guess is close also.

I too just picked up a used Johnson 50hp. Looks ruff on the outside, inside is very clean for a 38 year old engine. Powerhead looks all original and it's pushing 150psi on both cylinders. Can't wait for iceout to give'r a good run to see how it goes!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just noticed in looking at this again that the deflector ring on the prop is missing. No biggie, just commented because the subject has recently been discussed over in props.

I agree that this is one of the finest engines OMC built. I enjoyed my '75 70 hp even though the stat stuck shut on me at WOT, or I was at WOT when I found out it was stuck shut and it cost me a power head. An audible OT alarm would have prevented the problem but were not common back then.

Mark