2009 merc 40hp lightening XR nightmare please advise!!

lrigano

Recruit
Greetings from New Zealand

I have the above outboard, I bought it second hand, but with low hours and in good condition. After a short period of use I had problems starting the motor when hot, it was bogging. I looked at the plugs and they appeared to have a watery emulsion on them. The local mechanic looked in the cylinders and decided that I had a problem with water leaking into the motor. The side gasket and head gasket, and crank seal were replaced. The problem with hot starting continued.. It would start from cold but once on the water it was difficult to restart.

Then I struck a major problem. I got an obstruction (probably weed) in the water intake and I badly overheated the motor. (I melted the coils!). I have dismantled the motor and found scoring in the bores, it looks like the bearing closest to the fly wheel has suffered some corrosion but not the one at the other end. The mechanic was surprised by this as he thought if corrosion was an issue the one at the other end of the crank would have been more likely to be coroded.

Now I have to figure out what the best approach is to get this motor sorted out. One major concern I have is that at least here in New Zealand there is a rumour that the blocks on this model are porous. Is there any truth in this rumour?

i had thought about a rebore and new oversize pistons, but the mechanic thinks that possibly one of the sleeves has moved in the alloy, it has rotated slightly. does the sleeve seal against the water passage could this be where my water leak problem came from?

I am guessing I would be best to get the sleeves pressed out and new sleeves put in. I see looking on ebay that there are sleeves for sale and some are oversized. Can some one advise on my best approach (what brand sleeve should I use? should I go oversize is there a loctite/sealer compound that should be used etc....)

there are wiseco pistons also on ebay would these be a good option for a replacement? Where is the best online place to get mercury parts (that will ship internationally) cheap?

As a general guide what else should be replaced in the motor as a matter of course to get it back to mint working order?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2009 merc 40hp lightening XR nightmare please advise!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Let's try page 1 again...