1987 crestliner v 170 phantom want to replace top

Hi i am brand new to this forum. I purchased a 1987 Crestliner V170 Phantom last summer. I had been watching this boat for a couple years where it sat at the dealers lot finally went in and made a deal The top has basically rotted to pieces and is in tatters
The one thing that I find with this boat is a low windshield and the roof should be higher. I have seen newer versions of the Crestliner line and some have a clear vinyl panel at the front above the windshield I talked to an aftermarket top repair person and he suggested going to Crestliner for info on this. I wonder if ther is a kit or anything out there for a new top and a higher windshield. I think a new pedestal under the existing windshield would be an easy solution, again wonder if anyone knows what's out there
The wiring all needs to be replaced but that is easy
I am not sure if it is factory in front of the walkthru windshield Dead center through the windshield is the live well and the floor is only down 4 inches or so from the gunwale. the battery is at the rear on the right side andone issue I have is running the water by myself puts the boat over on an uneven keel to the right I will probaly move the battery over to the left side and possibly the livewell to attempt to level this out I think I will lower the floor forward of the winshield as well. I live in orthern Ontario sohave until lateay to get moving on this. It is nearly minus 40 here now so I wont even be driving out to the ice fishing shack today

Re: 1987 crestliner v 170 phantom want to replace top

Yes I wil ldig through some of my pics on my other computer and get some loaded on here
The boat pushes really well with a 1996 75 hp merc 2 stroke I will be installing a electric trolling motor in the spring I still havent seen anywhere to buy anything other than bimini tops I would like to stay factory or as close to factory as possible and want full enclosure as the lake I live on is 110 miles long and about 40 wide somayundoubtedly get stuck in foul weather as I plan on doing lots of exploring and cruising around besides fishing A thread here talks of canvas tops so now I can go look around and maybe get closer to what I am looking for

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

If it has a canvas (or similar) top you can put additions on the hoops, and any good upholsterer, or boat upholsterer can make a top, and add the clear vinyl. Is it like a bimini top that will fold down, or a permanent one that stays up? That makes a difference. I had a fishing cabin put on mine for about $800, which was a good price.

Hi I see I did to wellon the pictures I uploaded 1 of them 3 times Will live with that or figure out how to delete They show the olt ratty roof I am tryiny to replace A bimini fromones I have seen pics of are basically a roof Iamlooking for the complete enclosure sameas this where I can enclose the cabin in the event of stormy/cold weather

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I think what you are looking for is called a fishing cabin. I don't have a pic of the drop down, but it drops straight down where the two pieces of canvas (similar material anyway) meet. It attaches to the hoop, and the side of the boat, ends about 1 1/2 inch from the deck, and is mostly clear vinyl. The framework for mine isn't really hoops, the second pic shows it. Is this what you are looking for.

Attachments

• 100_4187.jpg
    100_4187.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_8313.jpg
    100_8313.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1

Yes this is very similar to what I am talking about I believe what is on my boat is direct factory installation I have not had any response from the localCrestliner dealer in regards to this Do you know if there is a direct link to Crestliner I am thinking that there may be an actual Crestliner update for what I want A local upholsterer told me it would cost 2 grand tomake the top-how much money should be reasonable That quote seemed high I dont know if the boat is valued that high -but if renovating/restoring in the end money is no object It just seemed like alot of money to spend in one shot and the upholsterer has enough business that he can name his price

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Never seen anything like that. No seriously I think that's too much to pay. And that's just for the (I say canvas, but it's some other type material). I've been looking back in my thread here to see what I paid, and I can't find it. I think it was around $800. Found a woman in a neighboring town, retired making money on the side, in her husband's garage. She didn't do a perfect job, but then again I didn't on my boat either. My boat didn't fit in her garage, so she did it outside with the bow the lowest point. The only way it would fir up by her garage. It poured rain, and froze. I sent a couple more pics. The last one shows the length of the cabin, but not drop wall in it. You will need a framework built for the canvas too. It came on my boat, but I shortened the length of it. Mine was just made out of thin square tubing, it really doesn't have to support much. I epoxied over and under it, and stuck the insulation that goes between a canopy and pickup in between. You shouldn't have aluminum and steel touching. If you're not a fabricator, that will cost some too. And aluminum or stainless would be better than steel to use. I used what came with it, plus I can't weld aluminum or stainless.
Oh, I've got a 61 Crestliner also, I modified it a little, it's my avatar pic.

Attachments

• 100_4103.jpg
    100_4103.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_4104.jpg
    100_4104.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_4326.jpg
    100_4326.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1

I am talking to a couple suppliers in Winnipeg and am thinking they can supply what i am looking for in the range of 1100 dollars

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like a nice Phantom you have got. It should serve you well on Lake of the Woods, I currently have a 4.9 Tyee which is just a little bit shorter than yours and it works well for 2 and sometimes 3 people to fish. I am on the Minnesota side of LOW and mainly fish Muskeg bay area and try to get the the islands near the NW Angle once a year.

The Canadians definitely got the better part of the lake! :)

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That's not a bad price. I had the frame to start with, and it wasn't a professional making it. You do have a nice looking boat there also. I'm a little squeamish about open bows. A friend mentioned when water goes over the bow, it's inside the boat with them. I know storms blow up with just a few minutes warning here. And I've had it hitting the windshield on both boats, and my starcraft sits high in the water. It does give more room for fishing tho. I guess it's a trade off. Good luck with it.

Hi Sorry I am slow in responding I have been busy "hard water fishing"lol Been hammering a few ice fishing Heard it was slowon Muskeg bay- I do some shopping at the tackle shop in Baudette if it is any consolation it was fairly slowon the canadian side too lol Looking forward to summer and getting out on the lake to do some exploring and checking out new areas What size motor do you run on your Tyee? I can probably fish 4 people from my boat without tomuch struggle Usually only 2 of us in the boat