Zincs on DP-E outdrive question.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm replacing the zincs on a new-to-me transom shield and noticed that the metal plate that goes between the outdrive and the zinc is missing. Is it important to have it for corrosion purposes or can I do without it? It is part number 7 in the following photograph:

Capture.JPG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Zincs on DP-E outdrive question.

It's a deflector used to keep the exhaust bellows off the anode.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a deflector used to keep the exhaust bellows off the anode.

So is it a necessary part? Does the zinc and the rubber have a chemical reaction or is it that the zinc can tear the rubber?

Don S

It's there to protect the bellows, never took one off to see what would happen. I guess they put it there for some reason.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then I guess I better replace them (twins), as neither have the support plate. Thanks for the input!

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Don, I have two on order.

One quick question: The transom shield ground wire runs from the water inlet bolt to the top right transom shield bolt and the tiller bolt (the bolt that holds down the trim sensor), is that correct? Sorry, took it off and forgot where it hooks up.

Don S

The wire should run from the engine, to the transom shield (one spot on the transom shield should be fine), and on to the tiller arm since the fork sets in plastic bushings. Don't remember it hooking to any of the mounting bolts for the transom shield, the connection on the water neck should be fine.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent, thank you, Sir!