Rebuilt motor adjusting lifters

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just rebuilt my motor and installed got it to start and run... I started adjusting all the lifters and on one side of the motor the rpm goes up when im adjusting and then smooths out and I also can tighten the nut all the way in with rpm spike then smooths out along with some backfiring out of the exhaust im thinking something is wrong with it somewhere but cant figure out... When I do the other side it gets rough then smooths out and thats what i was told is supposed to happen..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rebuilt motor adjusting lifters

What engine and year are we talking about? Model numbers are good things to have too.

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol it was a very simple fix... :facepalm:I had 2 of the spark plug wires flipped...:laugh: Runs real good now I think.. What do you guys think????

Don S

So, what engine and model number is it. Looks like a 4.3, and some you adjusted the valves, and some you torqued the rockers down. Changed between 93 and 94. If a 4.3, does it have a balance shaft in it?

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a 4.3 it has a balanced shaft... I believe it is a 94... How i did it was 0 lash the 1/4 a turn... Thats how I was told to do it...

Don S

If it has a balance shaft you don't adjust the lifters, you torque them down to the proper torque spec, and that is it. 20 Ft lbs.

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that each cylinder on tdc or just torque them???

Don S

Just torque them, doesn't matter if on TDC or not.

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The funny thing is I was told to do a different thing a while back with the same exact motor and thats what I did... Im little confused...

Don S

Then you can look for yourself to find out.
Remove the valve cover (either side, doesn't matter) and remove one of the rocker arms. Look at the stud the rocker mounts on.
If it's straight sided all the way down to the head, then you will need to adjust the valves.
If there threads at the top, then a step to a larger diameter on down to the head, then you just torque them down.