High water alarm VERY CLOSE CALL!!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only one thing I can think of has been as scary in my life other then what happened to me this past week end crabbing. I took my son and his girlfriend out crabbing, and as always I started my boat at the dock and inspect the engine compartment. All looked fine. We get out in the bay, and I noticed water coming up from the cuddy cabin floor drain hole. I lifted the engine cowl and it was full of water and just starting to over flow into the boat. I turned my back up pump on and headed for the shallow water, and followed it to the dock.

On my OMC, SeaSwirl there is a hose coming from the outdrive that looks like it connects to a check valve or something like that. Going to look it up in a min. Anyway, it's a 3/4 inch hose, with 1.. just one little hose clamp holding it on. It had slipped off some how and was filling the boat with water.. fast.. very fast.

I ordered a high water alarm and will not ever go boating again on my boat, or anyone else that doesn't have one on. When you think about it.. it just make sense to have one on your boat. (Other then just an auto pump).

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: High water alarm VERY CLOSE CALL!!

Only one thing I can think of has been as scary in my life other then what happened to me this past week end crabbing. I took my son and his girlfriend out crabbing, and as always I started my boat at the dock and inspect the engine compartment. All looked fine. We get out in the bay, and I noticed water coming up from the cuddy cabin floor drain hole. I lifted the engine cowl and it was full of water and just starting to over flow into the boat. I turned my back up pump on and headed for the shallow water, and followed it to the dock.

On my OMC, SeaSwirl there is a hose coming from the outdrive that looks like it connects to a check valve or something like that. Going to look it up in a min. Anyway, it's a 3/4 inch hose, with 1.. just one little hose clamp holding it on. It had slipped off some how and was filling the boat with water.. fast.. very fast.

I ordered a high water alarm and will not ever go boating again on my boat, or anyone else that doesn't have one on. When you think about it.. it just make sense to have one on your boat. (Other then just an auto pump).
WOW!! Close call! Glad that you are all safe!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'd've thought normal annual Maintenance woulda caught such a thing...

I'm guessin' that might be the raw water coolin' line, goin' to the motor,...
Was the motor Overheating,..??
What yer callin' a check-valve might be the P/S Cooler, that needs drainin' durin' freezin' temps...

I've got 2 independent bilge pumps with 2 float switches, that when either comes on, an Idiot light on the dash lights up...
It makes monitorin' the bilge pretty simple...
Float switch floats, Idiot light comes on,... s'pose you could wire in a buzzer too...

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, the temp was normal, and I too have a auto float on # 1 bilge pump. I also have another pump (manual) about 8 inches higher. The water coming in was faster then what #1 pump could pump out. I didn't notice as it pumps out on the back of the boat. I Always, always start my boat with the cowl cover off at the dock and watch the motor for at least a couple of mins.

I was at 54 ft of water when I noticed the water coming up through the drain hole in the cuddy. When I think back of how cautious I am, I wonder why I never even thought about a high water alarm before. Very scary. Truly, you will never know just how scary until you see that much water coming into your boat.

This hose is at the very back of the motor, you can hardly even see it..
Thank you for the well wishes, we are all safe!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

There's a lot to be said for the unsinkable boats they sell nowadays.

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you not have stopped the engine and reconnected the water line? set the anchor if nessary

chriscraft254

Commander

Please let us know what line it was. All hoses should be routinely checked and double clamped as well. Its good you had a backup bilge pump, all boats should. People in general think a 1100 gph pump is going to keep up, generally they don't in a situation like this.

Your secondary and primary pump can both be put on high water alarms and they can also both be on float switches. The back up should be larger than the primary, kinda acts as a waste pump for emergency. But it does not have to be mounted that high, it could be mounted right next to the pprimary. Most mount them a couple inches up as to keep debris out of them because there not used often.

Thanks for posting, I thin alot of guys here run only one pump in there boats. Glad you made it in safe, keep us posted on what the leak came from please.

Also good to carry something to plug holes, the coast gaurd carries something, just can't remember the name of it. A wax toilet seal I have heard works sometimes.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

if you are out boating and you suddenly notice things getting wet, the MOST likely culprit is what the OP found, a coolant hose off. In that case, its generally better to shut the engine off asap and fix the problem. The running engine is what is sinking the boat, it keeps pumping water in. (having a hose pop off is not at all uncommon. The amazing part is that when you actually try to take one of those hoses off, you think it will come off without a big fight? nope!)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Similar situation got me to put an alarm on my second bilge pump, same as high water only wired directly to the pump, if it fires I get a screaming alarm and know now there is a problem.

I left my plug out and ran up a no wake channel for 10-15 minutes, we stop to fish and I notice water swirling in the rod locker, had my 2 buddies go to the bow of the boat while I got the plug in but the water was 1''-2'' from coming over the transom, it was really really close and I had the alarm on before I went out again.

Only heard it once since when I left the plug out again, way less dramatic that time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My boat floats all day with the plug out and water doesn't even come up through the deck drain, bilge pump is manual... but isn't even needed.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you not have stopped the engine and reconnected the water line? set the anchor if nessary

At the time I had no idea where the water was coming from. I headed for the shallows of the edge of the bay in case she went down. As soon as I got back to the dock, I shut it off and the water started going down. I didn't want to take that chance in 54 ft of water. But, yes had I known what it was, I could have just shut the engine off and fixed it. But, that hose is hard to get to.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please let us know what line it was. All hoses should be routinely checked and double clamped as well. Its good you had a backup bilge pump, all boats should. People in general think a 1100 gph pump is going to keep up, generally they don't in a situation like this.

Your secondary and primary pump can both be put on high water alarms and they can also both be on float switches. The back up should be larger than the primary, kinda acts as a waste pump for emergency. But it does not have to be mounted that high, it could be mounted right next to the pprimary. Most mount them a couple inches up as to keep debris out of them because there not used often.

Thanks for posting, I thin alot of guys here run only one pump in there boats. Glad you made it in safe, keep us posted on what the leak came from please.

My boat has a freshwater cooler, with heat exchanger. On the back of the engine (where it's hard to see and get to because of the exhaust risers) is a line coming in off the outdrive. There is a can looking thing the line goes into one end, and then connects to a hose at the other end. That line only HAD one hose clamp on it and it had come off.

As long as the engine was running, it was pumping water FAST into the boat. I mean VERY FAST. I truly believe had I not had a 2nd pump she would have went down before I got back to the dock. (Since I didn't understand where the water was coming from, I wouldn't have thought about shutting the engine off) I will look up what that line is called and post it.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Similar situation got me to put an alarm on my second bilge pump, same as high water only wired directly to the pump, if it fires I get a screaming alarm and know now there is a problem.

I left my plug out and ran up a no wake channel for 10-15 minutes, we stop to fish and I notice water swirling in the rod locker, had my 2 buddies go to the bow of the boat while I got the plug in but the water was 1''-2'' from coming over the transom, it was really really close and I had the alarm on before I went out again.

Only heard it once since when I left the plug out again, way less dramatic that time.

As cautious and as safe as I THOUGHT I was about boating, this left me feeling like I need to go back to school. Something as simple as a $19 alarm could save your boat, and even a life.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

This baby is going on my dash.. hooked to an auto float before my boat gets wet again! A light would also work, but I already ordered this alarm. The float switch I got at Walmart.

alarm_zps5b459031.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

My boat has a freshwater cooler, with heat exchanger. On the back of the engine (where it's hard to see and get to because of the exhaust risers) is a line coming in off the outdrive. There is a can looking thing the line goes into one end, and then connects to a hose at the other end. That line only HAD one hose clamp on it and it had come off.

As long as the engine was running, it was pumping water FAST into the boat. I mean VERY FAST. I truly believe had I not had a 2nd pump she would have went down before I got back to the dock. (Since I didn't understand where the water was coming from, I wouldn't have thought about shutting the engine off) I will look up what that line is called and post it.

Ayuh,.... I already told ya what that line is,... It's the In-comin' Raw Water Line....

Who summerized yer boat,..??

Obviously is was done 1/2 azzed...

The P/S Cooler has to be Drained at winterization, 'n the line needs to be resecured durin' Summerization...

Btw,... 1 hose clamps is all that's supposed to be there, 'n it works just Fine, if it's properly positioned, 'n tightened...
'n,... As I said, just wire a $2. Buzzer in parallel with yer bilge pump, 'n you'll Have a water alarm...

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... I already told ya what that line is,... It's the In-comin' Raw Water Line....

Who summerized yer boat,..??

Obviously is was done 1/2 azzed...

The P/S Cooler has to be Drained at winterization, 'n the line needs to be resecured durin' Summerization...

Btw,... 1 hose clamps is all that's supposed to be there, 'n it works just Fine, if it's properly positioned, 'n tightened...
'n,... As I said, just wire a $2. Buzzer in series with yer bilge pump, 'n you'll Have a water alarm...

Yes, that is the line.. I was going to look for a picture or exploded view of it and post it..

Um.. winterize my boat??? Never have... never will. I use it year round. Ocean crabbing in the fall/winter, lakes and rivers summer. Thats the advantage of living so close to the pacific ocean.. you get to use your boat all year.

This line is so hidden behind the motor I never knew it was there.. I mean I knew it was somewhere.. but never saw it knowingly until the clamp came off.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, that is the line.. I was going to look for a picture or exploded view of it and post it..

Um.. winterize my boat??? Never have... never will. I use it year round. Ocean crabbing in the fall/winter, lakes and rivers summer. Thats the advantage of living so close to the pacific ocean.. you get to use your boat all year.

This line is so hidden behind the motor I never knew it was there.. I mean I knew it was somewhere.. but never saw it knowingly until the clamp came off.

Well,.... You STILL gotta do annual Maintenance...

Which should include at least a visual Inspection of All the systems....

Thalasso

Commander

Also good to carry something to plug holes, the coast gaurd carries something, just can't remember the name of it. A wax toilet seal I have heard works sometimes.

Two best things to carry is duct tape and a wax toilet ring seal.