Buy a new boat or fix an old one

joey2381

Cadet
Hi everyone!
I have a 1987 sea raider boat, about 17 feet long with an omc v6. last summer it started making a knocking noise, and I was told that cylinder number 3 was bad. The marina near by estimated about 1300 to 1600 dollars to fix it, and could be more depending on what it really needs.

Now, another guy I know who works at a place that fixes all types of engines says that it would cost less if they were to do t, and that marinas will always charge more. Im bringing the boat out there within the next couple of weeks to have him take a look at it to let me know exactly what ill need. I know I'll be spending between 1000 and 1500 most likely to fix it.

But heres the other option he told me. If it was really that bad, he told me I could buy a crate engine (not a brand new one, a rebuilt one) and drop that one in instead. They sell rebuilt ones there and I could get a crate v6 for about 1300 bucks, and could sell the old block for maybe 300 since it still does run even with the knock. That way it would be a factory rebuilt engine with no problems, and will come with a warranty. My father wants to have them fix the engine already in there now, but I think that a crate engine might be more reliable. i dont want to have them fix the engine and then have something else go wrong with it a month later, i'd rather have it be reliable.

Should we have them fix it, buy a crate engine, or maybe just sell the boat for parts and put our money together and buy a better boat that needs nothing? We'd be interested in a boat with an 8 cylinder (I'd prefer through hull exhaust!), not anything bigger than 22 feet and nothing too new and I've seen some on craigslist for around 4000 to 5000.
I'd like to see what you guys think, Thank You!!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buy a new boat or fix an old one

thru hull exhaust is WAY over rated!

Honestly the only one who can answer your question is you... maybe the mechanic... Find out what is actually wrong with the engine... It COULD be really minor or it could be really bad.
A $1300 crate engine is a rebuilt (or remanufactured) OLD engine and if your current one is in good shape minus a collapsed lifter or cracked rocker... maybe a stuck valve... it could be just as good or really close to the "new" one.

#3 cyl is bad, doesn't mean anything specific enough to make a decision.

NYBo

Admiral

For me it would really depend on the boats condition. With it's age, a bad engine and OMC drive I'd have to really think about putting money in it.
Those are my thoughts also. You also need to know if the crate motor is a proper marine unit, not an automotive one.

joey2381

Cadet

Smokeonthewater, I'm not sure either whether its seriously bad or not, hopefully my mehcanic will be able to get a good diagnosis of what it needs. thats just the information that the marina mechanic told me, i know nothing more. But i've always loved boats with through hull exhaust :) I know some people dont, but i love the sound!! And Bubba and NYBo the outdrive is in good condition, and the all around shape of the boat isnt bad considering its age. but i wouldn't mind something newer. Thank you all! If anyone has anymore information or knowledge about this let me know!!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Those are my thoughts also. You also need to know if the crate motor is a proper marine unit, not an automotive one.

Joey, there is a big difference between a marine engine and an automobile engine to start with. It sounds like that crate engine might just be a car engine in which case it wouldn't last long or even be safe used in the marine environment Also is the non marine mechanic repairing the existing motor using strictly marine parts? You might want to re-think having a car mechanic mess with a marine motor if he's not...

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

... We'd be interested in a boat with an 8 cylinder (I'd prefer through hull exhaust!), not anything bigger than 22 feet and nothing too new and I've seen some on craigslist for around 4000 to 5000.

A 22' boat (or practically any boat for that matter) in that price range is going to be a boat you should be ready to put a lot of time and/or money into to make it into and/or keep it in a structurally sound, aesthetically pleasing and mechanically reliable vessel. If your current boat is structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing you may want to seriously consider re-powering. The unknown factor would concern me the most.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't think I'd put $1300 (and it will end up being more) into a 1987 17' i/o.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Joey, there is a big difference between a marine engine and an automobile engine to start with. It sounds like that crate engine might just be a car engine in which case it wouldn't last long or even be safe used in the marine environment Also is the non marine mechanic repairing the existing motor using strictly marine parts? You might want to re-think having a car mechanic mess with a marine motor if he's not...

+1. A marine engine is basically a Ford or GM block stuffed full of marine parts.......Why? Because a marine engine is built to run at WOT for extended periods, frequent full loads (hole shots); an automobile engine is not!

Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a marinized automotive engine isn't all THAT special... correct cam, compression ratio, head gaskets, freeze plugs, and ignition protected electrical stuff..

joey2381

Cadet

Tazrig, the place im bringing it to IS an auto and marine. They have both mechanics for car engines and mechanics that specialize in marine engines.

joey2381

Cadet

Always a tough call when it comes to repowering an older boat. Hate to say it but rarely is the boat worth the cost of a repower and you won't get your money back when you do sell it. Then again, it's not always about the money and people do get attached to a boat for lots of reasons. I think if it were me I would invest an afternoon and pull the engine out, drop the oil pan and check the bearings. If you have a "rod knocking" it will be very apparent when you turn the crank over.

If indeed it is a rod going south you may as well write the block off. Maybe it could be rebuilt but I don't think I'd do it. At that point you can start looking for a replaecement or decide to sell it off and look for something newer with the V-8 you really want. Lots of guys with bad outdrives will snap yours up if it's in as good a condition as you say. All the bolt on's for the engine, Alternator, carb., distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. will bring in a decent buck if you take the time to sell on craigslist or eBay if they are in decent condition. Of course you could also just sell the entire thing as a project for someone else to,,, enjoy. :D

I was thinking about maybe parting it out if it came to it, but I've seen a lot of posts on craigslist with people selling boats for parts and i see many of them being re posted months, even a year later. The boat does start, the engine will run but it makes that knock. So what do you think i could put it up for sale for?

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Realistically a 25 year old boat with a bad engine and obsolete drive system isn't worth much. You could look at Craig's list, the IWANA, etc. and see what is the asking price is for similar boats and then beat it by a couple hundred $ if you want a quicker sale. Parting it out will take a lot more time and effort but could bring in more money in the long run. If you can, take a step back and objectively think about how much you would pay for that boat if you were buying rather than selling.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First go to kragen, Checker or Autozone autoparts store and borrow a compression tester. Check the compression in all 6 cylinders, write this down for future reference. Get a OMC service manual for your engine off C-list or Ebay. Do not get clymer or seloc manuals. Look in the service manual for rocker arm specs. You may have something lose on the top end. I get my parts from marinengine.com or wholesalemarine.com. At the least check your compression. Are you sure it is from the engine, the exhaust baffles/flaps in the exhaust elbows crack and flap around. Good luck!

Hi everyone!
I have a 1987 sea raider boat, about 17 feet long with an omc v6. last summer it started making a knocking noise, and I was told that cylinder number 3 was bad. The marina near by estimated about 1300 to 1600 dollars to fix it, and could be more depending on what it really needs.

Now, another guy I know who works at a place that fixes all types of engines says that it would cost less if they were to do t, and that marinas will always charge more. Im bringing the boat out there within the next couple of weeks to have him take a look at it to let me know exactly what ill need. I know I'll be spending between 1000 and 1500 most likely to fix it.

But heres the other option he told me. If it was really that bad, he told me I could buy a crate engine (not a brand new one, a rebuilt one) and drop that one in instead. They sell rebuilt ones there and I could get a crate v6 for about 1300 bucks, and could sell the old block for maybe 300 since it still does run even with the knock. That way it would be a factory rebuilt engine with no problems, and will come with a warranty. My father wants to have them fix the engine already in there now, but I think that a crate engine might be more reliable. i dont want to have them fix the engine and then have something else go wrong with it a month later, i'd rather have it be reliable.

Should we have them fix it, buy a crate engine, or maybe just sell the boat for parts and put our money together and buy a better boat that needs nothing? We'd be interested in a boat with an 8 cylinder (I'd prefer through hull exhaust!), not anything bigger than 22 feet and nothing too new and I've seen some on craigslist for around 4000 to 5000.
I'd like to see what you guys think, Thank You!!