took out floor of 17 /12 aquasport, need help 1

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
after reading some of the post decided to pull out rooted floor on my 1974 aquasport my ? is the old floor looks to be 5/8 plywood with no cloth or mat "maybe thats why it rotted " i was thinking of dropping down to 1/2 inch or maybe even 3/8 plywood weight being a consideration.seeing as i am going to fiberglass it "not sure what type of fiberglass and what goes where would like some help on this subject i just took out the floor and left a 3 inch piece all the way around the deck deck measures about 5 ft. by 10 ft. thank you <br /><br /> from floorless in miami

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: took out floor of 17 /12 aquasport, need help 1

I would go with what the manufacturer used as far as thickness goes. It all depends on how many stringers there are. On my project, I have six stringers, spaced roughly ten inches apart, so 1/2 inch ply was used. You can also go thinner if all the voids are foamed, but the difference between 5/8th and 1/2 isn't that much wieght wise, but it is strengh wise. I recommend strength over lightness any day. There are other ways to shave weight, don't do it on structure. Also, the floor is what ties the structure together, and the floor and stringers are what distribute the forces caused by the engine. Good luck....

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have 2 stringer they are about 8 inches wide at the top and get wider at the bottom they are 24 inches apart and one smaller stringer in the middle ok i will go for stength and use the 5/8 <br />what type of fiberglass should i use on the bottom and top of new deck? also now looking at my gas tank "34 1/2 gallons" i can bring it forword about 18 inches what are your thoughts on that my thing is to distribute the weight forward so i can get into shallower water.and is 5/8 exterior with the bc rating good it has one good side

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Moving the tank should be no problem. I would use a layer of glass mat first followed by a layer of cloth. Use epoxy resin - not poly and make sure that you saturate the edges. Cut and trial fit both wood and glass prior to applying the resin. <br /><br />Leaving a 3" piece all the way around may be a problem in getting a strong butt between the old and the new. Most folks will pull the old floor out right to the side of the hull so that the new floor fits to the hull. After the floor is in overlap the seam at the hull with several strips of glass with a 3" overlap between the floor and the hull. Make sure that you cut & install the new floor with any seams running perpendicular to the keel.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks jasonj and solittle you say 1 layer of mat and then 1 layer of cloth i am assuming you mean on the top what about the bottom of the floor do i put anything there and what size mat and cloth

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well guy's going to buy the materials monday just need to know what size mat and cloth or anything else i need also the steps of where and when they go on the plwood thanks again

Kenbo

Seaman

Caldog, If all you are looking for is to waterproof the underside of the plywood floor, one or two layers of 3/4 - 1 oz chopped strand mat will do the trick, but you should only use poly resin with mat. The mat has a binder that holds it together which does not dissolve when using epoxy resin. The first thing you should do is paint both sides and edges of the plywood with resin to seal up the pores so the wood doesn't suck resin out of your layup. We would use a little extra catalyst in the resin so it would cure quickly. After that cures, sand the surface and fill any voids, it will make your layup easier. Then you can apply the mat using poly resin. Any mat overhanging the edges of the plywood can be easily trimmed using a sharp utility knife if you get it before the resin cures to full hardness. For the top, you want to use mat first because it adheres to the wood surface better than either cloth or woven roving. You can apply in alternating layers, mat/cloth or roving/mat. I would still use the poly resin, it costs less and will give a satisfactory finish. After the floor is glassed in, you will want to cover the layup with something for UV protection. You can paint on gelcoat provided you use a wax additive so it will cure. Hope this helps, Good luck :)

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks kenbo thats exactly the info I was looking for i was thinking of spreading the resin with a paint roller and then spreading it with a plastic spreader"the kind they use for auto body" will that be ok?

Kenbo

Seaman

You can use a short nap paint roller to spread the resin, but be careful about which one you choose. The glue that holds the nap to the tube on some of them doesn't hold up well when using resin. I also use a cheap throwaway natural bristle brush. I would recommend using a air bubble roller to ensure you eliminate air bubbles from the layup before it cures. Air bubbles become voids after the resin cures. If your local supplier does not have them, check out defender.com, they have an assortment. Good luck! :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I'm with Kenbo. I had ordered a couple laminating rollers for my project. I have a 1/2x 6 inch roller for large areas, and a 1/4x1 inch roller for tight areas and corners, and it has worked fine so far. Definately use the right tools, it will mean the difference between a marginal result and a great result. Good luck, and post a pic or ten...

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well guys matted the bottom of the floor yesterday worked better than i expected down here in miami it dry's real fast thanks for all your help and as soon as i figure out how to post pictures I'll send some