motor was running now nothing

bd07

Recruit
Have a 70s model johnson 40 hp. water was not comeing out the pee hole and carb was flooding out but the motor would run. got the carb squared a way to the best of my knowledge and replaced the impeller for the water pump. now motors not running at all tweaked the carb couple times and still nothing. Any advice

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: motor was running now nothing

Do all
Have a 70s model johnson 40 hp. water was not comeing out the pee hole and carb was flooding out but the motor would run. got the carb squared a way to the best of my knowledge and replaced the impeller for the water pump. now motors not running at all tweaked the carb couple times and still nothing. Any advice

Do ALL your checks starting with spark and compression and carry on to fuel system till you find problem. Squared a way carb?? What exactly did you do? Sounds like you need to do all system maintenance .

kbait

Commander

Agree w/checking for proper compression and proper spark^, if that's looking good, spray a bit of premix into the carb throat and see if it'll run briefly.. If it does, you have a fuel delivery issue.

Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

A 1970's motor? I would get a manual, a wheel puller and also check the electronics under the flywheel. You would be amazed on how nice things work when you sand off a bit of corrosion.

I would probably do the entire system...... plugs, points, carbs......just based on the age.