1958 Western Auto 5 1/2 hp Wizard Powermatic mfd by Oliver

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1958 Western Auto 5 1/2 hp Wizard Powermatic mfd by Oliver

i can't wait to get this to the shop, was up till 2am, messing with it:D the wife said she cant beleive i gave someone $75 for it:faint2:. the prop would not turn by hand, i removed the drain screw a shot of clear water came out:eek: so i took off the prop sprayed the shaft bearing with pb blaster then in the top screw hole in the lower unit till it came out the bottom, turned the prop back and forth it freed up then i could hear it turn and the gears meshing inside, put the bottom screw back in filled it with 0-20, i have a surplus from work that i use for flushing out engines, it spins easily now. i will leave the oil in there till im ready to tear it down to put in the parts bath at work. the tiller handle was to stiff to turn, was because the timing plate hard to turn, so i sprayed pb blast all in there and worked it loose, now it turns with the handle:joyous: want to add, i pulled the cord and it spins, goes foop foop foop

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

the label on the front says Western Auto, Kansas City, model# OC 585, the serial# 603 112, and i read that oliver model # is the year and hp backwards, so thats where i get the 1958, they only made this for 2 years, this is all educated guessing from reading done online. i'm not shure if im beating the right bush so correct me if im wrong

Willyclay

Captain

the label on the front says Western Auto, Kansas City, model# OC 585, the serial# 603 112,

You are correct that Oliver built that motor as a Western Auto private brand, Wizard. Your model number cross-references to the Oliver J Series which in 1958 was their model number J4 rated at 6HP. Not unusual for a manufacturer to de-rate the horsepower for a private brand model when they may be identical mechanically. My 1947 Wizard WD4-S was actually a Mercury KD4-S. Wish I still had it! The link below will get you to some non-factory service info for that motor.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...nline-service-info-not-just-boats-393281.html

Login as directed and then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Oliver and, finally, J Series.

FYI, those great old water-cooled two-stroke motors will not die on their own, they have to be murdered. Good luck!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

thank you, for that info. so i can include"1958 oliver j4 6hp" to my quest for info? that should yield more results. does ayone know if this is 24/1 mix and should i use 30 weight?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No, fuel mix is 16:1. That's 1/2 pint per gallon. Use TC-W3 outboard motor oil. Lower unit gets 80-90 outboard gear lube. Spark plugs are J8C, gapped to .030". Breaker points are gapped at .020". Shear pin in 7/32" brass. Propeller is 8 x 7, 2 blade. Bore & stroke is 2" x 1-1/2", displacement is 9.42 cu in.

M

mrcrabs

what he said, :)
man you could part that thing out for a fortune ;)

Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

No, fuel mix is 16:1. That's 1/2 pint per gallon. Use TC-W3 outboard motor oil. Lower unit gets 80-90 outboard gear lube. Spark plugs are J8C, gapped to .030". Breaker points are gapped at .020". Shear pin in 7/32" brass. Propeller is 8 x 7, 2 blade. Bore & stroke is 2" x 1-1/2", displacement is 9.42 cu in.

thanks for the information, if i can find a fuel connector, i may try to start it, feels like it may run

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

what he said, :)
man you could part that thing out for a fortune ;)

yes, i saw some parts on ebay, this one is mostly complete, just missing 1 screw behind the pull rope handle, i want to restore and run it, i think it's cool:cool: looking and havn't seen any others like it

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i was messing around with the motor, pulled the plugs they are new, check for spark, top cylinder has good spark, bottom has none:grumpy: so i pulled the flywheel, the points looked ok, cleaned out a mess of stinkbugs, still no spark. i will have to wait till next week to bring my meter home from work, if it turns out to be the coil, not sure if i can get another, if not maybe the guys at winchester electric can repair:facepalm:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is that a Bendix-Scintilla magneto? Coils are available. A bit pricy maybe, but hey, that's life.

Hint: Scintilla mags have a magnet rotating in the center, rather than magnets in the flywheel.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Is that a Bendix-Scintilla magneto? Coils are available. A bit pricy maybe, but hey, that's life.

Hint: Scintilla mags have a magnet rotating in the center, rather than magnets in the flywheel.

i think so, has bendix on it, and magnet in the middle, my dvm is at work so i have to wait to test. could be in the points or wire, guess i could use my known good points to test the coil

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

was doing some troubleshooting, but cant stay to long in the garage as it is cold and i am sick:blue:View attachment 180014View attachment 180015 i need to check the point gap, and clean. the coil at the bottom of the pic has no spark

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Just got done working on my Chris Craft 5 that has Bendix Scintilla coils. They were severely cracked and pieces of covering were broken and missing. I had spark but to only one cylinder. I was surprised that I even had spark to the one. Mine look different than those you have; mine are probably older versions. Anyway, I epoxied them and cleaned up the points and replaced the ignition wire. Not saying you'll be lucky but you may want to try all that before you replace ($$$) them. Bottom line: Clean everything up especially the points. Epoxy any cracks. Replace ignition wires and you may get lucky. Let us know how you make out.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

got a chance to work on getting spark on the bottom cylinder, did some part swapping moving coils, wires. narrowed the problem down to the pointsView attachment 180114 this uninsulated connector was grounding out, fixed that still no spark, so i removed the points and took them apartView attachment 180115 the contact surfaces were burnt and pittedView attachment 180116 so i filed them smooth and shiny, put them in, set the gap, flywheel back on, give a spin and spark spark:joyous: both cylinders. now to work on the fuel, maybe try hooking up gas and see, maybe it runs:confused:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

maybe a hose slips over with a clamp:confused: