Will this work with my 4 hp

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1974 4 hp threw a rod last, year putting a hole a little smaller than a dime in the crankcase wall. Here's what I'm planning on doing. I shaped a piece of 0.030 brass to cover the hole. After I clean and sandblast the crankcase I plan to glue the brass patch to the crankcase with J B Weld. Will that work? Did I missed something?

DLH

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: Will this work with my 4 hp

Why don't you just find a new short block? That is the right way to fix it IMO. Remember the crankcase needs to be air tight. Send me a pm if you need one, there may be one hiding in my shed somewhere.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Brass that thickness will flex due to the pressure/vacuum pulses in the crankcase. That flexing will sooner or later very likely pop the piece loose. If space permits, and a hole that small, you can shape a piece of aluminum a bit larger than the hole, Drill and tap four holes for four #10-32 stainless machine screws. Fashion a gasket for the plate, coat it with Permatex aviation forma gasket and attach the plate. Go boating.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just put on plenty of J B Weld. Don't know if it will work until you try it.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have patched them by heliarc welding a aluminum patch in.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a picture of the hole. The picture was taken before I filed the area next to the bolt and dowel pin holes flat so I would have more surface for what ever type of patch I used. If you look close you will see that the patch not only has to fit around that rib but it has to have a bubble in it for crankshaft/rod cap clearance. Took me 4 tries before I was happy with the results

I thought about having it welded but have read too many horror stories about welding cast aluminum. I discarded the screw idea, I was going to use 4-40 screws, because of the shape of the patch. It has a 90 degree bend it. As far as the 0.030 brass flexing, I don't think there's that much pressure in the crank case because the fuel pump is able to take it. I did some testing of the J B Weld. I heated it to 400 degrees with no effect. I applied it to a clean and sandblasted piece of the 0.030 brass and it held up pretty well while I flexed the brass. I had to actually put a bend in the brass before the J B weld failed.

I PMed Robj asking him what he would need for a new short block if he has one. I'll wait until I hear from him before I make a decision.

I know that the crankcases and crankshafts were the same from 1969 to 1976 or was it 77.

Don Hansen

Attachments

• P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010056.jpg
    P1010056.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010053.jpg
    P1010053.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With your patch & a generous amount of JB Weld, I see no problem. Your concerns on welding this alumium are unfounded IF the welder does not contaminate the surface at the start of the process. This is pretty easy to weld IF you do not overheat it.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

With your patch & a generous amount of JB Weld, I see no problem. Your concerns on welding this alumium are unfounded IF the welder does not contaminate the surface at the start of the process. This is pretty easy to weld IF you do not overheat it.

The thickness of the crankcase wall has to make a difference? That wall is only about 1/8 thick in places. Seems like it would be easy to overheat it.

I have to allow clearance for the head of a screw but I was thinking of not only gluing the patch but also adding some to the outside for reinforcement. As I mentioned, I plan on sandblasting both the crankcase and the patch to give the J B Weld something to get a hold of.

Don Hansen

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a picture of my repairs. If you look at my original pictures you can make out a crack and one of the holes I drilled to stop it from traveling in the pocket above the side with the hole. In this picture you can see both of my brass patches I made and are now glued to the crankcase with J B Weld. Turned out pretty good I thought.

DLHhttp://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180054&d=1359326162&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

that does look like a nice clean job...good work Don.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Super job. Let us know how it turns out when you get it running.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the weather in Wisconsin finally was warm enough to test my repair. Ran the motor in a garbage can for a couple of hours on gas with double oil to help break-in the new crank and connecting rod. Couldn't run the motor more than half speed but it sure sounded sweet. Can't wait until I can get it on the water to give it a proper break-in. Only time will tell if my patches hold.

BTW I'm adding a tell tale nipple, with a 1/8 inch hole, to the exhaust plate where it covers part of the water jacket. I mentioned this in another post but I'll ask again. Does anyone see something wrong with doing this?

DLH

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No. What part of Wisconsin are you from ??

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

No. What part of Wisconsin are you from ??

West Allis. Have lived here all my life, 69 years. Why do you ask? I see you are in Florida.

I have to wait for a new gasket to arrive before I can install my new plate. I used 1/4 inch aluminum stock for the plate along with a brass shoulder bolt to make the nipple.

Rick.

Captain

Way to go Don. I missed your post about this earlier, but would not have imagined what you've done. You are a craftsman. Are you going to run a richer fuel mix now? LOL. Best of luck. Rick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I orginally came from the Minocqua-Woodruff area, but finally got smart and moved here, LOL

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

you can get a welder to fix that with aluminum of the correct thickness, But it might be cheaper to buy a used one on e-bay, the salvage yards listed here on iboats.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Way to go Don. I missed your post about this earlier, but would not have imagined what you've done. You are a craftsman. Are you going to run a richer fuel mix now? LOL. Best of luck. Rick.

I was running both my 4 hp and my 1980 35 hp at 50 to 1 but because of the E10 gas I think I'm going to run 40 to 1. I've already installed one of those Racor filter/water separators just to play it safe.

DLH

Rick.

Captain

I was running both my 4 hp and my 1980 35 hp at 50 to 1 but because of the E10 gas I think I'm going to run 40 to 1. I've already installed one of those Racor filter/water separators just to play it safe.

DLH
I've seen many posts about our 4HP's having to use 24/1 due to the lack of needle bearings (or may be the presence of needle bearings I don't remember) Anyway over time I started mixing richer for the 4HP. Now I'm at 30/1 full synthetic. I've experienced no problems at all with the richer mix so I will keep it up. I still have my 95-40HP. on VRO and it seems to use less than a 50/1 mix over all, at least in my mind it does. I've never tried to calculate the actual oil use on it. Rick.