Tilt Motor Identification

kbelky

Cadet
Anybody have a clue what brand and model this motor might be? It is on an '83 Skeeter Bass Champ w/1977 Johnson 70 HP motor. I do not know if it is original to the motor/boat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt Motor Identification

It was an accessory back in 1977 sold by OMC. You can still find it at shop.evinrude.com. in the access section for that year. I think the unit was built by Prestolite.

kbelky

Cadet

Thanks for the info. And just my luck... the Parts section of shop.evinrude.com is down. :faint2:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you go to shop.evinrude.com page down and look for just that. I was just there and it's working. Then put it in your favorites as I did.

RRitt

Captain

the motor and pump are NLA. It is a 3w prestolite. replacement motors are cheap and adequate. replacement valve bodies of same quality are non-existent. you can get a chinese for around $100 but it is very crummy quality made from cheap soft metal and low grade seals. the manual release was only used aon a few chrysler, evinrude, and johnson engines. be careful not to damage the screwdriver fitting on manual release and have it rebuilt when system starts drifting down.

RRitt

Captain

the reservoir is part of the motor. if you remove the two top bolts and take off the reservoir then the motor is usually ruined. the exact model for your boat has not been made in years. A proper rebuild will cost $200 because the inside of unit will need to be bead-blasted and acid etched to remove and neutralize rust. On top of the labor, a proper rebuild will need another $70-$100 in parts. However, a properly rebuilt prestolite is good to go another 20-30 years.

generally speaking, it's not worth the effort to rebuild a prestolite with internal rust because the boat and engine are only going to last another 5-10 years anyway. The chinese motors are cheap and last 5-7 years. you will need to bend the oil tubes and make them fit.

New Tilt Trim Motor Chrysler Force Evinrude Johnson OMC | eBay

kbelky

Cadet

Thanks for the ebay listing! That looks like a direct replacement; however, it states it only fits outboards from 75 HP and up. Of course, I have a 70 HP. :grumpy: I have emailed the seller to see if it would still fit; but, I'm wondering if anyone here knows if it will still fit. I trust this forum a lot more than an ebay seller for some reason. :)