2 Cycle Motor Oil

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,

New boat owner and I am getting mixed suggestion to what brand 2 cycle outboard oil I should be using... Some people tell me Mercury, some people swear that Penzoil is the best way to go, and the people at BassPro shops suggest I use QuickSilver (that being the only brand that they carry). But then some people tell me that mechanics refuse to service engiones that have used penzoil, and others say that even the inshurance comanies refuse to do claims on outboards that have used penzoil.

What should I use? Should I also use stabil ethenol treatment every time I put gass in?

Thanks

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 2 Cycle Motor Oil

Any brand you want...

There's no best answer. Just like ice cream, everybody has their favorite flavor, and they'll all tell you it's the best.
If you have a pre-mix motor, or older injected motor, use any oil rated TCW-3. If you have a newer injected motor, use an oil that carries the correct rating assigned by the manufacturer.

But then some people tell me that mechanics refuse to service engiones that have used penzoil, and others say that even the inshurance comanies refuse to do claims on outboards that have used penzoil.

This sounds like B.S...
As long as the Penzoil being used carries the correct rating for the motor it's being used in, nobody on either front has a legitimate reason to deny anything to the owner. If they did, they're wrong.

P.S.
As far as the Stabil treatment, if you plan on leaving your boat sitting any longer then a few weeks between runs, it's not a bad idea to add some to the fuel. And even though it says it's for ethanol, it doesn't prevent moisture accumulation in the fuel (if that's what your thinking).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, zippy: Some people call Pennzoil "Yellow Death" and I forget the derisive nickname Quaker State is given but then again, most people don't like Force engines. AND just because it is cheaper, a lot of people will not use the Wal-Mart brand--even though it is better than most (if you consider the additive package). The subject of oil is a hot one, sure to cause major discussions. Ultimately, it is your money and your choice and don't believe all the crap you hear. "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" Was that Ben Franklin?

HOWEVER: No matter what brand you use, If it is rated for TCW-3, the engine manufacturer (just as with automobiles) can NOT refuse to perform warranty work simply because you didn't use their branded oil. And the B.S. about mechanics: If you visit an opinionated one like that, run, don't walk, to a different service provider.

bassman284

Commander

OK, Frank pretty well covered it, but I always have something to add and it's this: you can pick any brand of oil on earth and with a little time on Google I can find evidence that particular brand of oil is evil incarnate and a motor destroyer. Truth is, everything on the shelf likely exceeds the standards displayed on the label.

Re Stabil: I've never used the ethanol treatment version because in Iowa I'm able to buy regular gas without ethanol. However, when I bought my boat which has a 19 gallon tank, the salesman recommended that, if I didn't burn about a tankful a month it would be a good idea to use Stabil all the time. Good advice, since my usage sometimes takes up to 3 months to empty a tank. That was 12 years ago and all is well (as of yesterday).

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

my grandpap used 30 weight:facepalm:, have a cousin uses bean oil:eek:, i use the walmart:joyous:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Zippy, just a quick FYI. Quicksilver is made by Mercury and sold by Mercury dealers. Like most have said however, so long as it is rated TCW-3 you're fine.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re Stabil: I've never used the ethanol treatment version because in Iowa I'm able to buy regular gas without ethanol. However, when I bought my boat which has a 19 gallon tank, the salesman recommended that, if I didn't burn about a tankful a month it would be a good idea to use Stabil all the time. Good advice, since my usage sometimes takes up to 3 months to empty a tank. That was 12 years ago and all is well (as of yesterday).

this is good advice for ethanol gas. Can't hurt with non-ethanol; there are always other sources of moisture including from the gas station. On an old boat I use about every three months I have non-ethanol gas but I still treat it; I am in a high moisture/fluctuating temps area.

As to Pennzoil--I remember in the 70's when I worked in a gas station, the word was that oil from Pennsylvania had a higher sulphur content and therefore Pennzoil had too much sulphur and it hurt motors. Now, I doubt that was true then, and it certainly is not true now, since every company uses oil from all over.

I use Yamaha's oil in a relatively new Yam motor b/c I know its additives are matched for the motor. I also add Yam ringfree. On my old beaters any TCW-3 works, and I have a place that will fill my gallon jugs with it. I also add Startron to all my fuel (equivalent to stabil).

I do not use synthetics, on several dealer/mechanics' advice, but then they also thought Pennzoil had sulphur in it!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

my grandpap used 30 weight:facepalm:, have a cousin uses bean oil:eek:, i use the walmart:joyous:

Yes, when I starting pre-mixing and boating in the early 60's that is what was recommended and used 30 weight motor oil 1 quart to 6 gallons (24:1) then motors graduated to 50:1 and the TCW III rating. Walmart stuff works fine for normal use.

NEVER use chain saw 2 stroke oil since it is not rated for a Water cooled motor. Just concentrate on the TCW III Rating ;)

82rude

Rear Admiral

Home Cookin, ON the dealers advise i use full syn xd100 at the xd-50 setting.also evinrude suggestes that also for the ultimate protection.im talking etec here for anybody that doesnt know .xd-50 setting is for tcw-3 oils and xd-100 is for the full syn xd-100 evinrude oil and also at xd-100 uses a lot less.ive found at xd-50 setting my use of oil is still really small ,its definatly not 50:1.but then again etec uses pinpoint oiling so were talking a whole other animal here.im debating trying penszoil semi syn but at the small amout of oil i actually use over a year is it really worth it?does anybody have a etec and use penszoil semi?

cuenta

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any brand rated tc-w3

This information is published in another post for roscoe
I hope you serve

Any oil that is rated TC-W3

TC = ( two cycle engine )
W = ( water cooled )
3 = ( newest version )

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When I was a teenager I used any brand of 10W30 that I could get at KMart for 32 cents a quart. At the time OB oil was 75 cents and it didn't seem cost effective.

Never had a problem until I had some extra cash and switched to Quaker State OB oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

10W-30 motor oil was never the proper oil to use for 2 cycle motors. I am surprized the metallic additives didn't destroy that motor.

Isn't it ironic that Bassman is from Iowa, the land of corn, and he can get non-ethanol gasoline? That is a head-scratcher.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

10W-30 motor oil was never the proper oil to use for 2 cycle motors. I am surprized the metallic additives didn't destroy that motor.

Isn't it ironic that Bassman is from Iowa, the land of corn, and he can get non-ethanol gasoline? That is a head-scratcher.

Yeah, straight 30 weight, non-detergent is what we used to use at 24:1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

YEP! I had an old Chrysler 90 and I ran out of oil. Young and dumb, I used 10w-30 at 50-1 in one six gallon tank. About half way through the tank the engine crapped out--destroyed one piston.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

YEP! I had an old Chrysler 90 and I ran out of oil. Young and dumb, I used 10w-30 at 50-1 in one six gallon tank. About half way through the tank the engine crapped out--destroyed one piston.

That's interesting! Yeah I was young and dumb as well. Actually, I used the 10W30 for several years in the old gal. She was a '55 10 HP Merc and this was in the middle 1960's. She ran a 24:1 ratio.

Switched to the real stuff in the 1970's and kept that motor until 1986. Still running OK when I sold her.

Must have made them better in the old days.....LOL.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quicksilver is made by Mercury and sold by Mercury dealers.

Well, not exactly (unless something has changed). "Mercury' was sold by Mercury dealers, and 'Quicksilver' was sold by any other outlet. Same oil, different branding ... ;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Another oil thread......Hoo Hah :lol::facepalm:

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Frank, I bet you would have got away with it without motor damage if you would have mixed at 24:1

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, when I starting pre-mixing and boating in the early 60's that is what was recommended and used 30 weight motor oil 1 quart to 6 gallons (24:1) then motors graduated to 50:1 and the TCW III rating. Walmart stuff works fine for normal use.

NEVER use chain saw 2 stroke oil since it is not rated for a Water cooled motor. Just concentrate on the TCW III Rating ;)

And if you ever see a bottle on the shelve that says MADE FOR ALL 2CYL MOTORS . RUN!! Run away fast! Before you think about trying it.