Starting issue

charliebabb

Cadet
Hey guys, i have a 1974 42' Hatteras that has a upper and lower helm. Im having problems turning on and shutting off my motors from the upper helm. Usually i have to go to the lower helm, turn on both keys, go back to the top and start the motors. Then when i want to turn them off i have to turn the keys off up top and then go back down and turn both keys off also. Is there a way to bypass the lower helm keys? I don't even use the lower helm.

Thanks for any help,
Charlie

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starting issue

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... It sounds like yer key switches are wired in series, insteada paralleled...

Get a Test Light, or Multimeter, 'n see, then change appropriately....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It could be a wiring problem, and possibly one bad switch. You will have to look at your switchs and see how they are wired.
Assuming both of your switches are good, I would bet your wiring looks like the first picture. You have to turn the lower switch on to put power to the B terminal of the upper helm, and either don't have a yellow/red wire on the S terminal of the switch or the start portion of the switch has failed.

Your wiring colors may be different.

attachment.php

Here is how it should be wired so either switch will start and stop your engine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

charliebabb

Cadet

Also, if I wanted to totally bypass the lower helm switch would I just tie in to the wires after the first switch? Making it hard wired power all the way to the upper helm?

Don S

Personally, I wouldn't bypass the lower switches. They might come in handy during maintenance, so you don't have to climb up to the flybridge to start the engine. Or if one of the flybridge switches failed. If you are worried about someone turning them on accidentally, just take the keys out and hide them.
But, if you want to bypass the switch completely so it can't work, then just remove the red wires on the lower helm from the B terminal in my drawing and splice the two red wires together. The lower switches can no longer work.

NYBo

Admiral

Get caught in heavy weather, and you'll be grateful for those lower helm controls.

charliebabb

Cadet

Perfect that's what ill do, thanks Don. And NYBo, i don't even have steering wheel or throttle/gear controls down below. Just on off switches and gauges. Kinda strange...

charliebabb

Cadet

Also, would it change because i have a start button also? I turn the key on and then push the switch.

Bondo

Staff member

Also, would it change because i have a start button also? I turn the key on and then push the switch.

Ayuh,.... 2 different circuits, that work together, but are independent of each other....

So it shouldn't matter....

Don S

Just remove the yellow/red wire (and tape it) from the start button, and it will no longer crank the engine.