New Carburator Adjustments

MeanyMan

Cadet
I just received my new replacement carburator for my mercury engine from Mercury Marine. I need to know if I have to do any adjustments to this new carb or is it factory set up already to run with the other 2 carbs. Here is the information that may help anyone to help me:

2003 Mercury
50 hp 2 stoke
Ser# OT640348
Mod# 1050412AD (ELPTO)
New Carb# 3301-824902T29 (It's the Middle Carb)

Any information would be greatly appriciated and any links on "How To" also :)

M

Maxz695

Re: New Carburator Adjustments

Merc 50 2 storke sn mod YEAR? guess we could find that out for you. Start by opening the mixture screws on each carb 1 1/2 turns then start the engine, and to check if the carb is working properly, close mixture screws until the engine starts to miss putter cough etc. Now open at least a 1/4 turn or to best idol. Get the boat in the water start it up, and warm it up, and with the carbs exposed turn mixrue screws out 1/8th at a time to get the best throttle holeshot. If it boggs then open it until you get a holeshot. This could take up to 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns. Give it time to burn off excess fuel between adjustments. If you have a solid crisp clean throttle up then you are adjusted correctly. Have fun Maxz695 PS It might be in your best interest to close all and follw these instructions for all not one but try the new one first.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhh === before worrying about mixture adjustments, better consider doing the link & sync first. You need a service manual for that Nobody here is going to type that procedure for you although someone my elect to provide a copy or link to the procedure. But to answer your question, no -- the carb is not adjusted because the settings are slightly different for every engine. That's just the way it is.

M

Maxz695

This basic procedure will work for all the 2/3/4/6 cylinder inlines from 1960 to 1988. It's not for the newer 3 and 4 cylinder loopers.

Engine off

Disconnect throttle cable

Pull throttle arm to full throttle and verify carbs open fully. Adjust main throttle stop so that the carbs are JUST hitting thier own little throttle stops. The idea here is that you want the screw stop and NOT the carbs acting as the "final stop" for your throttle lever.

Return the throttle to idle, carbs should be closed. Set all idle screws to 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.

Remove all plugs except #1, hook a timing light to #1. Then follow the narritive.

When the throttle is in the idle position the carbs should be fully closed and the ignition retarded. It is the amount of retardation that determines your idle speed and is set later with the idle stop screw.

Timing Event One - throttle pickup.
As the throttle is advanced, the spark timing advances toward TDC and then to before TDC. As the timing is just passing TDC the 1st (minor)throttle pickup should hit and start to open the carbs. Use the timing light. Adjust the tang or trigger screw to make this a reality. All of them are speced different, but if the 1st pickup hits at 3-4 degrees BTDC advance - you win. Use the timing light with a friend cranking it to complete this setting.

Timing Event Two - max advance.
As you continue to advance the throttle the timing will advance while the carbs slowly open a bit more. The next adjustment is max advance, this is the point where the distibutor (or trigger) can advance no more. Set the max-advance stop to 21 degrees for "direct charge" crossflow inlines and 34 degrees for the older plain vanilla crossflows. Use the light, - err to the side of caution.

Right after max advance, further throttle motion should cause the second throttle pickup to hit and open the carbs to full. You already set that -now verify it.

Leave the throttle cable disconnected and go to the water. Leave the boat strapped to the trailer and back it in so it's deep enought to run. Have a friend crank it while you operate the choke and throttle. Warm it up at 1500 rpms's.

When "warm" adjust the idle stop screw for about 800 rpm and then ajust your idle needle(s) in (one at a time) till the motor stumbles. Quickly backing it out 1/2 turn from "stumble" will usually save it from needing a re-start. Do that for all the idle screws. Re-set idle stop for 800.

Now have your friend put it in gear (make SURE you are on the transom NOT in the water) and reset your idle stop for as low as you can get it. 500-600rpm is great if your old reeds will let it idle that low in gear. Now, re-adjust the idle screws, in to stumble, then 1/2 turn out. When you've gone back and forth with that a few times and have it "perfect" - adjust each one out 1/4 turn.

Reset the idle stop so that it's about 700-800 out of gear and 500-600 in gear. Sometimes bad reeds won't let you get that low, you've GOT to get it under 1000 in neutral (worst case) to avoid beating up your lower unit when you shift into gear, even 1000 is "bad" but like I said "worst case".

Now adjust (and hook up)the throttle cable so that with the shifter in neutral, there is light to moderate pressure holding the throttle arm against the idle stop.

Take the boat off the trailer and go out in the water. Try the hole shot. If it falls on it's face try adjusting the idle screws out 1/4 turn at a time (all of them together) till you can get a hole shot. You can kind of do this on the trailer at the ramp, but it's not really safe for you, the boat, or the tow vehicle.

MeanyMan

Cadet

WOW.....thanks guys. A lot of info to absorb, but I got it all printed out. Really appriciate the info. Did a little more research along with your input and I guess I'll be ready to tackle this job this weekend. Again, thanks guys for your help :)

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Maxz info is good for "This basic procedure will work for all the 2/3/4/6 cylinder inlines from 1960 to 1988. It's not for the newer 3 and 4 cylinder loopers" not realy for the newer 2003 modal motors. You can check the Sticky 'Facts, Questions, and Answers' on the merc mariner to get a manual for your motor. You will need to do a Link & Sync of the motor to get the new carb adjusted correctly. DO NOT move or adjust the timming as long as it was running fine before the carb needed replaced. JMO
Oldman570

carholme

Rear Admiral

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the correct manual for your engine.

Gerry