Bone-in venison shoulder roast

Tyme2fish

Commander
I've got a venison bone in shoulder roast cooking now. I punctured the roast in a few places and placed garlic in the slits. Olive oil was rubbed on the roast and I then sprinkled fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt all over the roast. Roast is in an electric roasting pan at 300 degrees with carrots,celery,and onions on the bottom of the pan. After one hour I added some beef broth to the pan. I'm going to turn the temp down to about 250 shortly and then let cook for about 4 to 6 more hours. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Attachments

• Venison shoulder.jpg
    Venison shoulder.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bone-in venison shoulder roast

One thing I would suggest, add about 1/2 can of beer, it helps to beak down the connective tissue and makes it much more tender.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

A lot of guys would use that cut of meat for grind and use the rear quarters to make their roasts. Not me! I'm with you, I always use the shoulder for roast and mainly grind the hind quarters since that's usually the toughest meat. Especially if it's ol' bucky.

Looks real good to me! You should change your userid to Tyme2hunt. Maybe have one for each season.......

On a fishy note, my daughter tried pickled northern for the first tyme today. A school teacher brought it for the kids. She loved it! We need to get out there and catch some fish so we can make our own........... If I could only find my recipe......

Tyme2fish

Commander

One thing I would suggest, add about 1/2 can of beer, it helps to beak down the connective tissue and makes it much more tender.
What am I supposed to do with the other half of the beer? Never mind, I think I know the answer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My wife and I almost exclusively eat wild meat, and it was just a little trick I learned from an oldtimer many years ago, makes it melt in your mouth.

JRJ

Commander

Looks good and should be fork tender :encouragement:

Tyme2fish

Commander

A lot of guys would use that cut of meat for grind and use the rear quarters to make their roasts. Not me! I'm with you, I always use the shoulder for roast and mainly grind the hind quarters since that's usually the toughest meat. Especially if it's ol' bucky.

Looks real good to me! You should change your user id to Tyme2hunt. Maybe have one for each season.......

On a fishy note, my daughter tried pickled northern for the first tyme today. A school teacher brought it for the kids. She loved it! We need to get out there and catch some fish so we can make our own........... If I could only find my recipe......

I gave up hunting after my discharge from the army in 1972. Tha's all I'll say about that. Nothing against hunting, I just don't like to kill living warm blooded creatures.

The pickled fish recipe got me curious as I've always liked pickled herring. Several interesting recipes on the net. I think I'll have to try that in the near future.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

OH MY GOSH !! You guys are killing me!! Got me slobbering all over my keyboard.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I like to use beer venison to take care of the gamey flavor. I usually soak any roasts or steaks in it overnight.....sort of has the same effect that salted milk has with fish.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I like to use beer venison to take care of the gamey flavor. I usually soak any roasts or steaks in it overnight.....sort of has the same effect that salted milk has with fish.

Mellowing the gamey taste is what I was talking about, the density of the connective tissue is what concentrates the organisms that harbor that "gamey" taste

Tyme2fish

Commander

Platter of sliced venison roast piled high. It tastes better than it looks. As good as or better than roast beef.

Attachments

• Platter of sliced venison roast.jpg
    Platter of sliced venison roast.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral

"Hey Tyme, what's fer supper?"

"Roasted shoulder that come from a deer
with celery and carrots and half a cold beer,
garlic inside and olive erl on top;
now step back everbody,
time to eat til I pop."

"Yum, yum!":hungry:

Tyme2fish

Commander

I reduced all the broth/beer liquid and Mrs.Tyme is now making the gravy. Mmmmmmm mashed tators and the cooked veggies with slices of venison. Oh, and my neighbor gave me an apple pie for dessert.

Tyme2fish

Commander

now step back everbody,
time to eat til I pop."

NICE!! I like it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Platter of sliced venison roast piled high. It tastes better than it looks. As good as or better than roast beef.

And it's actually healthier than roast beef because it's leaner......... I may have to defrost one for this weekend.....:)

'coop - That was good......;)

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

now step back everbody,
time to eat til I pop."

:hail: