Need some support here...

JasonB

Lieutenant
I started glassing wood back in my Glastron today. I started with a fairly easy bulkhead to work on my technique. Wow. I have new respect for fiberglass folks. What a messy job. I got it partly done, but my resin was a bit too hot and started to gel, so I stopped to see how this looks in the morning. Wow, it' flimsy feeling right now. I guess it will be much better when it cures and I get the second layer on it. Oh well, I'll wait with much anticipation :D

flashback

Captain
Re: Need some support here...

Jason, i can relate to what you are saying, I felt the same way the first time I started working with the stuff, the only thing i can say is have all your tools ready, have all your glass cut, and make your resin batches in small quantities, and keep your resin and hardner easy to measure and mix....good luck.........

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yep.. Takes a while to get a handle on glassing... A little practice and it gets easier... (still messy though :p )<br /><br />Flashback gives good advice about having everything organized and ready to go.. <br /><br />Try to stay a step ahead of yourself and work smart...<br /><br /> Thats the only way to do glass work...

JasonB

Lieutenant

Thanks guys. I feel better now :) . It's an odd thought when you are laying may that it will eventually hold a boat together when it doesn't even seem to hold itself together. I'm just happy to see the boat going back together after all the time I've spent stripping stuff and grinding on it. I'm bouncing between the wood/glass work and some surface repairs/sanding on the deck so I don't get too frustrated with one or the other. She may be seaworthy again someday :rolleyes: All in all, I'm having fun and it gets me out of the house.

jamessloan

Seaman Apprentice

Jason...you're a brave man to start out glassing the boat itself. I played around with scrap wood, 'glass cloth, mat, polyester resin, and epoxy for weeks before I actually had faith in the process. I'm no expert, but I do know that the initial product can be questionable. I found that I tend to overdo it for stregth and them make up for appearance with sanding....and sanding....and sanding...and sanding..... :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I sure can relate to that!<br /><br />I'm learning too. F'rinstance, I never knew saturated glass mat had to be "rolled", or it would have air bubbles and large gaps in the finished product. Messy and itchy-n-scratchy!<br />I now do everything haveing to do with fiberglass, from cutting it, to laying it, in full throw-away body armour with face shield and mask.<br />I hate it, but do what must be done to get a boat ship shape.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Fortunately, appearance isn't an issue as I'm dealing with structural components hidden by the cap and floor. I actually hope I am overdoing it. I hear what you are syaing, 12footer, on that body suit stuff. When grinding the old stuff out, I itched for days. Now I'm just sticky and covered in fiberglass hairs :D

Kenbo

Seaman

Jason B, I would recommend using a pair of gloves when doing your layups. As long as your not allergic, the latex dishwashing gloves work pretty well, are reasonably durable and you can get them at the local supermarket. Much better than the latex surgical gloves sometimes used. As stated above, having everything prepared before you add the hardener to the resin is key. If the resin is hardening too quickly for you, try adding a little less hardener. Good luck!! :D

JasonB

Lieutenant

Thanks. I actually have been wearing some nitrile glves which hold up well, as long as I don't get them near aceatone :D . Even though I have gloves on, I still manage to get the resin all over the place, including on me. Mix that with hairs from teh fiberglass matt,a nd I end up looking like a furry snowman or something. :rolleyes: