First boat purchase: Bay boat or dual console?

rob-con

Cadet
Retiring to the Beaufort SC area and haven't boated since I was a kid. I've been trying to climb the learning curve as to what type of boat to get for the area, and trying to learn what options I might need. I would appreciate any guidance/advice from any of you experienced salts out there.

I have ruled out a fish and ski bowrider because of things you guys have said about not being suited for the choppy conditions you can get around inland bays and sounds exposed to the ocean winds. Beaufort area has a lot of tidal water and rivers leading out to the sounds and ocean beyond, so I'm guessing a boat that has stability is a must. It might be easier if I list how I want to use the boat and some of my concerns:

* Fishing, throwing a cast net, cruising, and anchoring to just relax under a Bimini top. Probably won't need ski capability. If we go on the ocean, it will be close to land. Not confident being out of sight of terra firma.

* 18-20 ft.

* I'm leaning toward a dual console walk-through because of the added wraparound wind protection, and because the captain's seats seem a lot more comfortable than the bench seat of a center console in a long day of boating.

* What I'm shaky on, knowledge-wise, is how to match the waters in Beaufort with things like draft, transom rise, v-hull vs. flat, etc., all the terms I need to know (and know little about) to insure that we will be okay in choppy water and open ocean as far as stability, smoothness of ride, and not getting soaked by spray.

* Price is definitely an object. Looking to keep a new purchase (not ruling out a used purchase) under 25,000.

* Also, advantages to inboard over outboard?

* I know many of you will know things to consider I wouldn't know to research on my first purchase. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: First boat purchase: Bay boat or dual console?

I'm an inland guy mostly, but get out on the Gulf a couple of times each year. So, take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I might bump my boat size up just a little. Going out on the ocean, I might like a 24' or so. The waves/swells/ocean stuff might not feel so big in a boat like that one.

Outboard vs. I/O is a highly debated topic which usually boils down to preference. Each has it's advantages. For first timers, I kinda' think outboards are easier to learn with as they can be a little more forgiving in maneuvering (IMHO). True inboards I'm not familiar with, but they're probably the hardest to learn to maneuver.

V-hull for choppier water for sure. And I'm leaning toward a dual console for you - or perhaps a walkaround. Those are a little more of a "cruising" boat, but still in that same category that you're talking about. In any case, pack a few folding deck chairs on board and you'll do fine in any of 'em.

Look at your used market within 100 or 200 miles: this time of year is decent boat buying prices and you might be able to score a real gem before the season starts kicking off.

Charts, some electronics and a local "buddy who's been there" are probably your best options for details on the waters you'll boat in. I would think that a 24' should be fine in most of it though.

Welcome aboard.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I boat in areas similar to Beaufort. You are asking the right questions. You can do a lot with an 18-20. If yo ucan stick with a single axle trailer, even better (if you are trailering).

First, it must be an outboard. No question.

You have diverging needs there. A flats boat (bay boat) is better for shallow water, and there is lots of it. A deep V is better for open water (including offshore) and there is lots of it. Since you have both worlds, one of the best ways to accomodate both is to get a boat with relatively high sides, and well-designed rails*, which makes it a drier boat (my dad made a mistake by buying a 17' bay boat hull, which I still have, but it is too wet). Also a semi-deep V is a good compromise.

look on line at Sea Hunt to see the variety of hulls and lay-outs. They maximize seating and room. There are lots of brands that have the same set-ups but these are all in one place for "window shopping." Then look at Carolina Skiff--they have the absolutely flat bottom J series and then the DLZ and DLX with shaped hulls and interior packages. The beauty of those boats, and why they are immensely popular in areas like yours and mine, is they are shallow draft, light, cheap, durable/maintenance free, can carry a horde of people, and run on smaller motors for their size (I have a 19' J with a 50). One of the best features is high sides and turned rails so they are very dry. There are other similar brands (skimmer, bay runner).

As for motors, outboard only. get a SS prop since you will be on the bottom often.

I wouldn't put a lot of value in a cushy seat--most boat owners with boats that size end up sitting on the back, on a knee, or standing anyway. The main thing is room and open space--not padding. A basic pedastal seat works better. And center console seats are perfectly comfortable.

The flat hulls go more places but are bumpier in choppy water. No, they won't knock your teeth out.

I'd get something about 5 years old and get more bang for your buck. Don't worry about the hull condition on these boats; they don't rot like the sofa boats apparently do. No carpet and minimal installed upholstery.

Consider Palm beach, and Boston Whaler/Grady ($$). Privateer had the solid hull (no bilge) and high sdies but was pretty basic. Old Mako's and Sea Craft are good designs (not new mako, though). Pathfinders are really good.

If you are trailering for every use, best to have a roller trailer and powerwinch, and keep the springs and axle out of the water. hard to find these days, but that is where your upgrade should be.

Walk around the marina's and talk to the boaters; get on the local fishing forums. Come back with specific finds.

And last, it has to be an outboard.

*by rails I mean the design under the gunwales that should turn water down

aspeck

Staff member

I boat inland, so not the same deal as you are dealing with, but I wanted a nice "All around" boat. Was looking at a CC when I found a dual console Renkin SeaMaster 19' with an 115 OB. Wish the OB was a little bigger, but she does okay. The DC is, I feel, more comfortable for cruising and she takes the waves extremely well. I do miss the walk around when fighting fish, but that is a minor inconvenience for the fish I am fishing for. If I was going for sailfish and shark, that would be different and I would definitely want a CC. But bass, muskie, crappie, panfish, catfish, etc are fine with the DC! LOL!

If I was regularly in the bay or ocean I would definitely want a larger engine, and the SS prop was a must for that rig ... one of the worst slow speed handling boats I have ever captained until I got the SS prop. Still a dog, but not nearly as bad as she was with dock maneuvering.

So, yes, get one with high sides, enough power to get you out of trouble, and depending on how much and what fishing you are doing, for general over around usage, I would suggest the DC. But look around and check out your options. I got mine used and a great deal, so when the motor dies I can easily get a larger one for the $ I saved.

rob-con

Cadet

Excuse this quick test to see if this time my reply shows up on thread.

aspeck

Staff member

There you go, rob-con! Got it!