paint '66 aluminun Starcraft

Kcin

Cadet
Never done this before, what should I do?<br /><br />Rubbed against a dock for years, no paint left on in.<br /><br />Would like to do as much as possible before getting someone to paint it!<br /><br />Sanding/prep work?

D

DJ

Re: paint '66 aluminun Starcraft

Kcin,<br /><br />Check out the following.<br /><br />Here are the pic's of the boat I just completed-Aluminum Sea Nymph. The first six pics. are BEFORE.<br /><br /> http://mypeoplepc.com/members/djohns19/djohns19/ <br /><br />The steps I took are as follows:<br /><br />1. Sand the entire area with 120 grit wet sand paper.<br /><br />2. Wash the entire area with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.<br /><br />3. Prime with zinc chromate primer.<br /><br />4. Apply top (finish) coat.<br /><br />I used Interlux "Brightside" one part epoxy topcoat, and put on two coats with a wet sanding in between with 120 grit paper.<br /><br />The one part epoxy dries very hard and gave a great shine. By the way-IT WAS BRUSHED ON. The one part epoxy's flow out very nicely.

Kcin

Cadet

Wow, look great!<br />Interlux "Brightside" one part epoxy topcoat is that the paint name and color? because i have done the interior in grey as well, and that is a nice color match!<br /><br />Thanks for the information!<br /><br />Chris

Kcin

Cadet

where can i get this stuff?<br />Interlux "Brightside" one part epoxy topcoat

D

DJ

Kcin,<br /><br />"Brightside" is just the name of the paint. I comes in many colors.<br /><br />www.westmarine.com <br /><br />They will have everything you need, including the zinc chromate primer.<br /><br />I also suggest you use the recommended thinner.