pull start yes! stater start no! wtf

hondajon

Recruit
I have 2003 saltwater mercury 2stoke 200 carbs. the starboard motor will not start with the starter but i can pull start with one pull even cold. I have replaced the key switchs. cut the stop circuit. tried the conrtol wire from port motor. No luck! Can anyone suggest a sollution. it runs great just wont start with the key switch! :lol:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: pull start yes! stater start no! wtf

Have you checked the fuse link on the motor under the starter selinoid to see if it is good? Both motors should have this fuse. With one on the motor that will not start blown, you will be able to pull start it ,but not start it otherwise. JMO
Oldman570

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Have you taken the positive wire off of the starter and applied power directly to the starter to determine if the starter itself is just dead and needs to be replaced?

hondajon

Recruit

The fuses are good, and i put a new starter on. when its running all 6 cylinders are firing and it runs great! i'm at a loss. it has to be a broken wire (intermittent short). but where?????

hondajon

Recruit

Have you checked the fuse link on the motor under the starter selinoid to see if it is good? Both motors should have this fuse. With one on the motor that will not start blown, you will be able to pull start it ,but not start it otherwise. JMO
Oldman570

fuse or fuseable link? the fuses are good. there are 3!

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Using a test light make sure you have 12V at the ignition switch,If so check for 12V on the yellow with red stripe wire on the starter solenoid while someone is turning the key

hondajon

Recruit

The yellow with red stripe is the solinoid wire. the starter is rotating it spins over nice just doesn't start with the key. I'm baffeled.

ok im reading this two diffrent ways. the start will not turn the motor over from the key or the start does turn the motor over but engine will not start.

from your last post it could even be that the starter is spinning and not engaging the flywheel.

could be a few things if the starter is spinning over yet not starting. the key could be operating the kill circuit when turned to the start position. (not sure with out looking how your ignition switch works) when you pull start what postion is the key in or are you unplugging the harness?. if it was mine a quick test would be to remove the solinoid wire and test to make sure starter does not engage then pull start motor and turn key to the starter position and see if the motor stops.

if the starter is not turning when you use the key but the fuses are good then check for 12v at the solinoid and test the ground. if the 12v is missing then wiggle the gear lever to make sure the neutral switch is made.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

The fuses are good, and i put a new starter on. when its running all 6 cylinders are firing and it runs great! i'm at a loss. it has to be a broken wire (intermittent short). but where?????

Sounds like your key switch is wired wrong and grounding out ignition when it is on start. Or your switch is faulty.

Last edited: