Hard to start 25 HP Evinrude

ocellatus

Cadet
I have recently acquired a pull start, 1974 25-HP Evinrude in excellent condition (low hours). I have replaced the kill switch, both ignition coils, coil under the flywheel, points, condensers, spark plugs, and set all to specifications. I am using a new fuel tank, hoses, bulb, and connection fittings. I have soaked, cleaned and rebuilt the carb. (using a carb kit).
When rebuilding the carb. I had trouble trying to insert the plastic slow speed needle valve bearing, so I called the guy at the marine store where I bought the carb kit and he said, "the part was more trouble than it was worth", so I did not install one. I have the motor in a 60 gallon water barrel, which causes the motor to hang about 15 degrees forward from straight up and down (it's like when running in shallow water position).
I started by replacing the 2 ignition coils first, (one was cracked and no spark) it didn't help. Then I replaced the coil under the flywheel, points (set @ .020), and the condensers. At this point in the process it would start, but only with starter fluid, (I know this is bad and why). Once started in would run OK, just a little rough at idle, (I think adjustments will cure that). Even after letting it warm up for a minute, once I shut it down it would not start again, except with starter fluid. It seemed to have fuel running out of the throat of the carb, like it was flooding. Then I got a carb kit, disassembled the carb, soaked, cleaned and rebuilt it. It still doesn't start correctly. Someone I know suggested, (I don't really trust their competence in this situation) it might be a synchronization, or timing issue.
I am not an OB mechanic (duh...) or I wouldn't be here, but I am mechanically inclined so to speak. I hope the explanation of my issue is adequate. I have read alot of posts and it appears there are some pretty knowledgeable people commenting here at iboats. I will greatly appreciate any comments concerning my problem.

I Am Stumped,
Stephen Sands

Panama City Beach, Fl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hard to start 25 HP Evinrude

You have to install the needle bearing... it will suck air without it.

I have a 1972 18HP, basically the same motor. That needle bearing is really tight and difficult to install but it has to be installed. Search my posts and you'll find the thread hopefully. Once you get that bearing installed post back and hopefully someone else will chime in with help.

The flooding most likely is the float out of adjustment. (Check the "Top Secret Files" for info and pictures of how to correctly adjust a float, as well as how to to test your installation.) Did you install the tiny metal clip on the needle and attach it to the float?

Once you have these components in place and adjusted then you can worry with timing... until then you're wasting your time.

Do you have a manual? If you don't you can search brp.com and look at the parts lists for you r motor to get an idea of what goes where... that will help you a lot. (It did for me.)

Last edited:

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have the same motor as well. a 72 20hp. i replaced the carb, and installed a new needle bearing and now she runs good. i had idle issues as well. make sure the old one is out.
dino

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ocellatus, you said it yourself. It is not sitting level. When you choke it, gas runs out the front instead of into the intake manifold (gravity, y'know). If it ran in, you wouldn't have to nurse it with ether.

ocellatus

Cadet

How can I tell if the old needle bearing is out? I cant see down in there.

ocellatus

Cadet

My old float and needle apparatus did not have a clip on it. I measured the float drop from carb frame gasket and it was fine, and I tested the float by turning it upside down and blowing through it and it seemed fine.

AlTn

Commander

do you advance the throttle handle as far as it will go in neutral when you are starting?....either tiller or remote require this, disregard the START marking on the tiller if it has one. When you replaced the coils, did you also replace the plugwires and terminal ends < boots and coils >? It seems after reading many posts concerning the ignition setup you have that it is most important that the armature plate be absolutely clean and all grounding attachments for coils and points be oxidation free.

I recently chased an ignition problem with a 25 hp. that turned out being a tiny hole in a coil ground wire. Anyway, I'm suggesting that you look to the ignition side of things when a hot restart is difficult.

ocellatus

Cadet

I advanced throttle to full to start also. That's the only way it would start, and that was hard. I replaced all wiring and connectors, plug wires, boots ect. Everything is very clean, with no oxidation. I took idle needle screw back out and installed needle bearing.