need advice on pulling engine

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, First I want to thank everyone on this site for helping people like myself if it weren't for this site I would not be able to afford owning a boat. I own a 22ft magna made by galaxy boats and it has a volvo penta aq231b with a 275 outdrive. I am going to be pulling engine to repair motor mounts (and anything else I find )and have been researching on here for awhile and think I am ready to attempt but before I did just wanted to make sure my plans are correct and get any tips to make things go as easy as possible. First I plan on removing upper gear box as don s describes in the stickies,then the six bolts on the clamping ring,disconnect any wires and fuel line,remove 4 lag bolts from the 2 mounts, and I should be able to lift motor out. If i am missing anything please let me know. Thank you for any and all help with this and I am sure I will have more questions as I go forward.
Thank You
TJ
IMG_20130116_131131-1_zps10988e3c.jpg

IMG_20130116_131114-1_zps8269adf3.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need advice on pulling engine

First I plan on removing upper gear box as don s describes in the stickies,then the six bolts on the clamping ring,disconnect any wires and fuel line,remove 4 lag bolts from the 2 mounts, and I should be able to lift motor out. If i am missing anything please let me know

Disconnect the fuel line to the filter, unplug the main wiring harness, disconnect the battery cables, throttle and shift cables, hoses for the exhaust, and anything else that's attached to the engine and won't lift with it.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Do it very slowly and check and re-check above post from Don as you are doing it. Anything that connects the engine to the boat in any way has to come off.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the reply don

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do taz thanks for the tip

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are going to get a Harbor Freight hoist, get at least a 1/2 ton rated. I have heard stories about the 1/4 ton hoists failing lifting V-8's. I had my exhaust manifolds off when I pulled mine, and I'm sure that made it easier.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips steve I will be borrowing a hoist off father in law believe it is 1/2 ton.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so I went over to boat today to pull motor and can not get upper gear box to move. I got helmet out of way,removed hose clamps from bellow,took nuts off 1 each side,removed 2 allen bolts,disconnected shift linkage,and it will not budge. Am I missing something or is there any tricks for this. Thank you for any and all help.
TJ

Don S

Probably stuck onto the intermediate housing with corrosion or sealer. Pry it up from the front, or bump it side to side with a mallet to knock it loose. (don't try to kill it with the mallet, just knock it loose)

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply don. Did try bumping it from side to side with mallet will not budge.When you say pry it from front you mean by wedging something between where upper meets intermediate? Was thinking about this but did not want to damage the surfaces. Thank you for your help.
tj

Don S

When you say pry it from front you mean by wedging something between where upper meets intermediate?

Yes, just don't go crazy and break something. There is no way I can say put a #3 glitch bar at points A and B and pry with 7.13 skreegs per inch max. to give you an idea of how much force to use or where to pry from with what bar. Use some common sense and see what happens. Sorry, but everything in marine mechanics is not black and white. I've broken many things trying to do something on my own, but when you have someone around that has done it before, they can show you. Not always possible on the internet.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will try tomorrow thanks again for your help don
TJ

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the prying and got it to move some I am able to slide putty knife between the two but still can not get it to lift off. Just want to make sure there is nothing else holding it on because it sure feels like it. Thank you for any help.
tj
IMG_20130120_114021-1_zps25d60a44.jpg

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wanted to update got upper off and motor is out. Thank you for everyones help.
TJ

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So it has finally warmed up enough for me to do my fiberlass repairs so now I am trying to order all the parts I will need to put engine back in and the drive back together I think I have found part numbers for everything I need but I cant seem to find a part number for my u joint bellow does anyone have a number for it my drive is a 275a thanks in advance for any help
TJ

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can anyone tell me where I can find a parts list and picture of the parts for a 275a upper gear housing I am trying to find some parts for putting engine back together and cant seem to find parts and number Thank you for any help
TJ

Don S

Just above your original post, click on Volvo parts and go to the OEM section, then look under your engine model > Transmissions > Upper gear unit for the bellows.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply don I tried doing that and I type in 275a the only upper unit it gives is drive dp290a are they the same parts for mine?Thank you for your help
TJ

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your drive is under "Gas engines pre 1989" in the engine parts section. AQ231b

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replys I have tried looking in these spots and the only thing I see for my drive (275a) is connecting components and that is not showing me the parts I need I do see the upper gear unit and intermediate but they both say for dp290a will these parts work on the 275a. Thank you for any and all help
TJ