Hurricane FunDeck 226 - Which of the three models (and options) should I buy?

Forest Gump

Cadet
Hello, I am looking at the Hurricane Fundeck 226 Models. The length and beam width are just about right, so I am hoping I can make this boat work for us. My family and I will be using the boat for at least 90% Lake Cruising and Tubing. However, in order to maintain my manhood, I reserve the right to be able to fish up to 10% of the time. Here are the three models:

FD 226 OB
FD 226F OB (2 fishing seats on the front deck)
FD 226F4 OB (2 fishing seats on the front deck plus a 4th gate)

I guess I will list the pros and cons of each model, as I see it. By the way, one of the cons for all three of these models, is that this particular model of FunDeck does not come with an anchor locker. I can work around that, but just can't understand why that feature was eliminated from this model of FunDeck.

FD226 OB Pros
This model has the most seating for my family. There are five of us, but we always have at least a couple of teenage friends.
FD226 OB Cons
This model would not be of much use for fishing. I do have another flat-bottom boat that I can fish out of. I want to be able to do some bass fishing in early mornings while the family is still waking up, or through the week, and I think I would like a dual-purpose boat.

FD 226F OB Pros
This model provides the fishing seats, the livewell, and also a little bit more "lounging" room than the 4-door model. I also can order it with the Rod Storage Clips.
FD 226F OB Cons
The negative of this model, is that I sacrifice some lounging space for the two forward fishing chairs. As stated, I think that 90% of the time will be spent with the family, so I am not sure about giving up that space. I suppose the two fishing chairs could be used when beached and hanging out. Also, I assume you can remove the fishing chairs, and use the forward deck for lounging. It makes me wonder why Hurricane does not offer some kind of optional padding for the forward deck on this model.

FD 226F4 OB Pros
This model also has the fishing seats, livewell. Is having this 4th entry gate a big advantage? Will I miss it if I do not have it? My dock has entry from either side, so I don't need a starboard side gate necessarily.
FD 226F4 OB Cons
This model has the least amount of lounging space.

A couple of other questions on the FD 226 F models for bass fishing. I have always done my bass fishing from a traditional boat, with one person up in the bow, and another in the stern of the boat. Have any of you had experience bass fishing in a side by side position? I just wonder how well this would work. Also, in none of their sales material do they show the FunDeck models with a trolling motor actually attached. How well does the trolling motor work on the FunDecks, and are they easy to remove when not being used?

What about the "changing room with curtain"? Since we have a cabin on the lake, we will not have much use for that. Should I just reserve this area of the boat for extra storage, or is there any other recommended use.

Finally, if I do order a new Hurricane from a dealer, should I expect to pay full MSRP, or can I expect to get some discount off of the full retail? Thanks in advance for your input.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hurricane FunDeck 226 - Which of the three models (and options) should I buy?

I have a 217 SD and not the 226, but I'll give you my experience. I bought my boat with the fish package thinking that I would use is occasionally. My boat usage sounds much like yours: most of the time cruising or pulling tubes or wake boarders, and a small percentage with me fishing either alone or with my wife. Here are my experiences:
1. I rarely use the live well, and have found that on my boat that it can be more trouble than its worth. Keep in mind that I rarely use live bait, and your use may vary. The live well does provide a nice cooler, and that is what it is used for 90% of the time on my boat.
2. I found that I rarely used the front fishing chair. Even when I put it up, I often find myself standing. I could probably live without it. Yes the chairs are removable and stow under one of the seats, like the table. 2 guys fishing side by side is not a problem.
3. Personally, I'd skip the version with the extra gate, and go for more seating.
4. I suspect that the front deck on the 226 and on my boat are very similar in size. I think you will find that you have to mount your trolling motor at an angle, which is what most guys do. Here are some examples: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/19017/main.jpg, http://www.deckboats.com/holidaymarine/cache/file/7DB237C8-24E8-4311-9ECDF3F879887B13.jpg
You can get quick release mounts that make taking the motor on and off fairly easy. There have been several threads on this forum about trolling motors and mounting them. I think you can work something out pretty easily. I do recommend you get a boat with the fish package if you plan on doing a trolling motor, since this package will include the trolling motor electrical connection already wired, and set up for dual battery operation..........much easier than trying to wire it later.
5. This is a good time to be shopping. I got a pretty significant amount off the MSRP, and some goodies thrown in when I bought my boat in 2010, but I had to do some serious negotiation, and shopping around. I ended up buying from a dealer that was 2 hours away, since the local guys just couldn't match their price.
6. I don't have a changing curtain, but do have an enclosed head on my boat with a porta-potty. It very rarely gets used, but it has served nicely on a couple of occasions for emergency pees, when we are no where near a place to stop. It is also nice to have something like that for a changing station when someone wants to get into dry clothes, swim suits, etc., so I would definitely recommend getting it if you live on a big lake where you may find yourself a long way from a place to stop. If there are plenty of places to stop, then you could probably do without it.

Bottom line for me: The 226F model would be my choice given your requirements.

Good Luck!

Forest Gump

Cadet
Re: Hurricane FunDeck 226 - Which of the three models (and options) should I buy?

Ernest:

Thanks so much for your comments.