Mark V SHOP SMITH

bigdee

Commander
Re: Mark V SHOP SMITH

Had one and loved it it....regret I ever sold it. Very versatile and setups are fast and easy and can be transferred from one setup to another. I used mine to mass produce knick- knacks and grandfather clocks.

chriscraft254

Commander

I have one that was given to me. It has only been used twice. I'm a contractor and really have no need for it because I have all the tools already. I'm trying to decide wether or not to sell it and how much I should ask for it. Its over 5 grand worth of stuff.

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I inherited a mark 3 from my grandfather. He had a small shop and it was perfect for him. But like Chriscraft, I have all the tools it can do except the lathe portion. I have checked on selling, but they are on CL for around $300. For that price I decided to keep it. I almost trade it for a boat once, but the other guy couldn't think of a time that he could use it. They sure take up alot of room though.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yeah, the ones I'm seeing on cl are old and rusted and look well used. This is the unit, it is a Mark V. Its the 50th anniversary edition with the higher output motor. I have all the original paper work/receipts. It will be a deal for somebody if there looking for one. I have put it on CL. No bites yet. Guess I will see what happens.
shopsmith011.jpg

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is a nice setup! Mine is one of the older models. You should be able to get something good for it.

bigdee

Commander

Nice looking! you should not have much trouble selling it. Those things are amazing. I sold mine long ago and now have had to buy a shop full of tools to replace it and still cannot do all the things that the Mark V could do. Because the setups carried over I could change tools faster than walking to another machine and then setting it up.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chris what city in Ky is it listed.. Been kinda looking for one here in Ms.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Anyone here use or own a Mark V SHOP SMITH?

Dont give it up for a song man ..

My dad had one with everything .. my brother sold the complete setup for 3k back in 1998 after he inherited it.

Its not the best at all things it can do .. but its better then what you would pick up individually on the Home grown market of tools. The space needed for you to store a few other machines made it worth its weight in gold when limited areas of workplace.

The Mark V is a good tool as well as good quality IMO .. not the top of the top when you want to buy the tools individually .. but I have not heard of anything yet that meets the demand of such a versitile tool.

Dont sell this el cheapo if you know what I mean.

YD.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Always wanted one of them, Ever since the 80's it seems like. When did they come out?

LK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They have been around since 1953. I wanted one myself years ago. ended up with a shop full of stand alone tools instead.

http://www.shopsmith.com/

chriscraft254

Commander

Dont give it up for a song man ..

My dad had one with everything .. my brother sold the complete setup for 3k back in 1998 after he inherited it.

Its not the best at all things it can do .. but its better then what you would pick up individually on the Home grown market of tools. The space needed for you to store a few other machines made it worth its weight in gold when limited areas of workplace.

The Mark V is a good tool as well as good quality IMO .. not the top of the top when you want to buy the tools individually .. but I have not heard of anything yet that meets the demand of such a versitile tool.

Dont sell this el cheapo if you know what I mean.

YD.

Yeah, I think I have put a very fair price on it. It is a 2003 model, but it truly is like brand new. Had one very interested buyer call me today, we will see how things go. Basically selling to pay for an conversion outdrive for my boat.

Always wanted one of them, Ever since the 80's it seems like. When did they come out?

LK
Don is correct, they have been around a long time. The nice thing about them is any new attachments they come out with will work with most the older units.

They have been around since 1953. I wanted one myself years ago. ended up with a shop full of stand alone tools instead.

Shopsmith - The Tool To Start With - The System You Grow With

I'm in the same boat, I have all the stand alone tools other than a lath. I'm a contractor, so dragging this to the jobsite just doesn't work. lol Its a great set-up for wood workers and shops.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you want to sell it, you need to check out sites like Wood Magazine free classifieds Free Classifieds - WOOD Community section.
I was actually a moderator on that site in it's early years, and got my picture in the magazine :D

There are also other sites with the same type of classified sections, WoodNet Forums: Viewing list of forums , SawMill Creek Classifieds , etc. There are plenty of woodworking forums and sites for woodworkers.

Might be worth a shot.

chriscraft254

Commander

If you want to sell it, you need to check out sites like Wood Magazine free classifieds Free Classifieds - WOOD Community section.
I was actually a moderator on that site in it's early years, and got my picture in the magazine :D

There are also other sites with the same type of classified sections, WoodNet Forums: Viewing list of forums , SawMill Creek Classifieds , etc. There are plenty of woodworking forums and sites for woodworkers.

Might be worth a shot.

Thanks Don. I appreciate that. There is a wood shop here in Louisville that caters to wood workers as well, I might drop in there and see if I can put a flyer up as well. Thanks again. :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Craig list it if you must ..

Im just saying .. if you have the time and the attachies .. dont just dump it. Its a good investment.

Those things are NOT craftsm's sports ..they actually work well. Look them up.

Just from me to you mate ..

YD.

chriscraft254

Commander

Craig list it if you must ..

Im just saying .. if you have the time and the attachies .. dont just dump it. Its a good investment.

Those things are NOT craftsm's sports ..they actually work well. Look them up.

Just from me to you mate ..

YD.

Thanks YD, I know its a good piece of machinery. They are very exact and if I didn't have tight funds and a blown outdrive, I would just keep it. But it is a 10 year old piece of equipment even though it looks new and hasn't been used but a couple times. .

I'm thinking its priced right for someone to think they are getting a good deal compared to the cost of a new one.

I need to sell this thing so you guys can help me with the se conversion. :)