2001 Rinker Captiva 212 Restoration

RinkerCap

Recruit
I just purchased a 2001 Rinker Captiva 212 last weekend. I am currently working on engine and outdrive but eventually will paint. It has a beautiful blue bottom paint that I would like to remove. I plan on using the Soy Gel stripper on the job. I have done some research and would like to get some input on what type of paint to use once I am ready to paint. I will be spraying, most likely outside once it warms up here in WV. I like what I have ready about Awlgrip but its a little too pricey. Any recommendations?

This is the exact boat I purchased.
2001 Rinker 212 Captiva Bowrider Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks in advance.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 2001 Rinker Captiva 212 Restoration

Are you stripping the bottom paint becuase of asthetics? If you are in WV, I assume you will be in fresh water versus the salt water of the Jersey Shore (where the boat was listed for sale).

My advice would be to strip off the anti-fouling paint and just go with a couple coats of Interprotect barrier coat (white). If you are really good at painting, etc., and plan to trailer the boat, then you could do the awlgrip sort of thing to get back to a factory original look (think about color matching as well).

Looks like that boat has its fair share of mold. How did it fair during the hurricane (Sandy)?

Welcome to iBoats and congrats on the 'new' boat. :)

RinkerCap

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response. I have not tried to start it yet. I'm scared that I'm going to be pulling the motor. The salesman said that it was not affected by Sandy. It does not have an outdrive right now but I'll be cleaning and trying to fire it up this weekend. Should be interesting. :) It will be in fresh water. I would like to get it back to the factory color. What is my alternative if I do not go with awlgrip?

pwrpizza

Recruit

If you havent pulled the engine, I need pix of the engine IN the boat

RinkerCap

Recruit

Anything specific on the engine? Its still in